Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone, I posted this just prior to the big crash of "00" and thought, I would repost it because it really opened up my eye's. I have been coresponding with an older gentleman and his wife that live about 60 miles from Vienna, Austria. Their originally from Ausria, but spent several years in Winnipeg,Manitoba. Franz has a river 100yds out his back door, teaming with trout, that he can't fish!! In Austria, you have to buy the fishing rights to the place you want to fish. The person who purchsed the right's to the river behind Franz's house pay's $100,000.00 U.S. for the right to eight miles of River!! Franz told me that he purchased the right to fish on a different river, about ten miles from his house. He then had to purchase a province licence for $100.00 U.S., then when he wanted to go fishing he had to buy a daily tag for $10.00 U.S., THEN he had to pay the land owner for each fish kept!! SO, when you hear someone or you start to complain about the cost of a licence here in Mi. Think of what it could be like. We are very lucky to have the fishing oportunities that we have here in our great state. Franz, says that he has given up fishing until he comes to Canada next year to visit his son. It makes me sad to think that someone who loves fishing can't because he can't afford the cost of the various licecences!! Just something to think about when you hear someone complaiming about out $ 13.00 licence. Stay on top. DAVE

·
Registered
92 Posts
We should be thankful that our country does not allow (that I am aware of) an individual to purchase the rights to a river.

I live on a river and own the property that the water flows over, but I do not have the right to prevent someone from fishing that property, unless they are actually standing on the ground within the property lines of my land.

I do feel bad for your friend, and I know how I would feel in his position.

------------------
My life is good . . .
Fishing helps make it that way

Max
Waterford MI

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, we are very lucky but there is a law in NY state that prohibits people floating the river over private land from anchoring over the private land. In PA where I live, there private streams that are either leased or owned by private clubs. There is no access to these streams even if you float through. The situation is similar in NJ where I am origanally from. Even though access is denied on these private waters, there are still plenty of places to fish, both public and private in these states. We have had a problem in these states with areas being closed to fishing for reasons such as litter, vandalism, disrespect for the land owner and liability. Here in PA we have alot of stocked trout streams that are bordered by private land. As long as the land owner allows access to fishing, the state continues to stock. Fishing is a privlige in these areas and we should respect the land owners by not littering, picking up other peoples litter, closing gates that we open, parking only in designated areas and offering a helping hand to the land owner if needed in exchange for access. Fishing public water is also a privlige and the license fees are used to insure the future of fishing by managing these waters and enforcing laws that protect this privlige. We should never take this privlige for granted and be thankfull for what we have. Thank you for reposting this, I didn't get to read it before I haven't been a member very long. I look forward to reading these thought provoking posts.

------------------
Have fun at whatever you do and keep on fishn, predatorfish <*))))><

·
Administrator
35,636 Posts
We have similar problems here in MI predator. Glad to see that you got in by the way. Here the waterway is considered public if it once floated logs down it during the logging days. Obviously a law that needs some updating.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mchuber, how can you own land under a state owned stream that is considered navigable. Or do you mean that you own to the mean high water mark?

------------------
AlleninAlaska

·
Registered
92 Posts
It has been explained to me that if the river is 5' wide, my actual property extends 2 1/2' or to the middle of the river beb and the property owner on the other side of the river owns the other half.

I had a survey completed by a commercial surveyor and the drawing show my lines which are in the river.

Now, if this is not true, then I have been given the wrong information.

------------------
My life is good . . .
Fishing helps make it that way

Max
Waterford MI

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Egads....that is a lot of money

I wonder what happens if you catch and release ?? :)

And here I thought $ 250.00 for a Michigan sturgeon license was too much ;)

·
Registered
remington - turkey, grouse, woodcock, duck, goose, deer (and pheasant if any exist)
1,013 Posts
this was even more evidence to what i have been saying for years....

guys were bitching about the lisence increase around the time when the lions were going 0-16 and they were taking their family there and spending $500 on tickets, beer, food and parking. now the same with red wings and pistons and tigers

yet for $25, $50, $75....they could hunt or fish 24/7, 365, and put food on their tables
cheap entertainment, comparatively, wouldn't you say?
and the monies go into a fund to hopefully increase success

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I was outside a few minutes ago petting my Lund and having one of those, Thank God I live in Harrison Township moments. Yes I'm thankful VERY thankful.
These politicians (our employees) get between me and the water....not good.
Great thought provoking post.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The lease payment of $100k probably isn’t that crazy if you compared it with a square hunting parcel as wide as 8 miles of river run that was privately managed to produce big bucks.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Morning everyone, I posted this just prior to the big crash of "00" and thought, I would repost it because it really opened up my eye's. I have been coresponding with an older gentleman and his wife that live about 60 miles from Vienna, Austria. Their originally from Ausria, but spent several years in Winnipeg,Manitoba. Franz has a river 100yds out his back door, teaming with trout, that he can't fish!! In Austria, you have to buy the fishing rights to the place you want to fish. The person who purchsed the right's to the river behind Franz's house pay's $100,000.00 U.S. for the right to eight miles of River!! Franz told me that he purchased the right to fish on a different river, about ten miles from his house. He then had to purchase a province licence for $100.00 U.S., then when he wanted to go fishing he had to buy a daily tag for $10.00 U.S., THEN he had to pay the land owner for each fish kept!! SO, when you hear someone or you start to complain about the cost of a licence here in Mi. Think of what it could be like. We are very lucky to have the fishing oportunities that we have here in our great state. Franz, says that he has given up fishing until he comes to Canada next year to visit his son. It makes me sad to think that someone who loves fishing can't because he can't afford the cost of the various licecences!! Just something to think about when you hear someone complaiming about out $ 13.00 licence. Stay on top. DAVE
Wow...just checked your profile...

You were last here in 2001....where can you be ???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts