Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got back to my truck this morning to find this on my windshield from a CO. Never new you could be cited for parking to far off the road on public land. Could see if you damaged a bunch of trees and stuff.
Was parked exactly 23.67 yards off a very busy M72 in the open on public land. Didnt damage a tree, dig up dirt, notta. Just bent a few blades of field grass. DNR must be super bored.
F8D091FA-8AE4-4FB5-B536-C6EECDB64896.jpeg

·
Registered
261 Posts
That is strange. Usually there is a sign with some sort of berm or barrier that makes it pretty obvious where you cannot go. I’d give him a call and politely ask if you missed the yellow lines? As you mentioned, must be very bored!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Must not be normal state land if it was you could park and camp there with a permit.
That's exactly what I was thinking. A lot of people camp in the woods on state or federal land and are always farther than 50' off a road. It would have been nice for the CO to leave some guidance to the rule, because I see a lot of people parking along the roadside looking for morels this time of year.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The citation is a little odd. The CO wrote you were in violation of parking but that’s subsection (A) of that law; subsection (B), which is what the CO cited, deals with trash.

You can probably get it tossed on a technicality, but additional information would be nice...

Did you by chance pull off the road really close to a marked parking area? Was there a ton of trash next to your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
872 Posts
His buddy probably knows a good shroom spot close to where you parked or maybe he has been watching a big Tom strutting the woods? I’d be in court either way it sounds like you were treading lightly if any laws were broke.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,129 Posts
I've had ORV stickers on all my Suburbans since I ran into a CO years ago in the U.P. who INSISTED..."If your wheels are not parked ON the road, you are OFF road". Actually, he was pissed about not catching me hunting (turkey) illegally. I think I might have been in "his" spot by the way he acted. ORV Stickers are cheaper than fines/court dates.

Reactions: Bucket-Back
1 - 9 of 9 Posts