Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Went out yesterday from 11 to 2pm, 4men got 7eyes, slow day.
Saw more than 20 boats that were chased down, didn’t know if they got tickets or not. Be aware of no wake between Belle isle and the shore.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hi folks,

Went out yesterday from 11 to 2pm, 4men got 7eyes, slow day.
Saw more than 20 boats that were chased down, didn’t know if they got tickets or not. Be aware of no wake between Belle isle and the shore.
US side yes...Cdn side you can fly through...recreational boaters are out now so more patrols going on.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for warning. It is the law.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Saw the same thing Saturday. Guys were flying by the police boat when they had someone pulled over. Some got away with it , some did not.
How can you be on the water and be that ignorant ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Used to keep a boat down at Keans dry stacked. Early season no problem being on plane. Get into May and the game changes with all the boats finding their slips in the marinas.

Owners start complaining of all the wake coming into the marine and call the po po and it’s game on from then on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Used to keep a boat down at Keans dry stacked. Early season no problem being on plane. Get into May and the game changes with all the boats finding their slips in the marinas.

Owners start complaining of all the wake coming into the marine and call the po po and it’s game on from then on.
Saw the police boat in the marina docked by Keans, be safe and tight lines.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
It's not BEWARE but KNOW THE SPEED LIMIT and just stay within the speed limit!!!

Marty

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
so stupid imo, the no wake zones. My boat creates less wake when on plane. But if I see coast guard I slow down and basically create 2ft chop just so they dont pull me over. Makes alot of sense

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
De Ole Scott middle grounds area,I never blast through dare, locals know this.but those who do knot can be rewarded with hefty fines.be hard to tell in that area thare are no warnings or no wake signs for a non local fasherman or cruiser.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Dats one of dem dare Jakes honey holes for da perchies.
Can't habe da yat lubbers cum planin thru it.

Reactions: jumbojake

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
so stupid imo, the no wake zones. My boat creates less wake when on plane. But if I see coast guard I slow down and basically create 2ft chop just so they dont pull me over. Makes alot of sense
hello if you slow down and still create a 2' chop you are still creating a wake in a NO wake zone.............. seems obvious but maybe not.

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
I thought I'd was slick last week when I followed a boat on plane from the Belle Isle bridge. They ducked in a slip by the Roostertail as I kept on plane up to St. Jean. Border Patrol on land got out of his truck walked over and stopped me by the break wall as I was turning into the ramps. He was not mad and very nice but just warned that they are going to be cracking down more than normal.

For all of goodie goodie internet boys calling people stupid and ignorant you can GFY. I'll bet there are very few if any that follow all the no-wake zones on the river. I'm sure all of you stay 200-1000 feet from shore in the designated areas when on plane.:lol::lol:

The Border Patrol recommends laminating this wake zone map to all boaters in the Detroit river. So basically unless you're pert neer in the center of the channel you are in a no wake zone down the whole river system.

·
Registered
777 Posts
good to know, first time fishing mid and upper river i blasted through there along with most of the other guys ive seen. However i would slow down when other boats were close by something a lot of other guys did not do

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
hello if you slow down and still create a 2' chop you are still creating a wake in a NO wake zone.............. seems obvious but maybe not.
yeah I create wake, but they dont pull you over for creating 2ft chop. They only pull you over when you are on plane creating no wake. I pass them creating tons of wake.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
yeah I create wake, but they dont pull you over for creating 2ft chop. They only pull you over when you are on plane creating no wake. I pass them creating tons of wake.
lol seems kind of senseless then but I get it.
I had a buddy once (70 year old guy) puttering back to the ramp at less than 5mph get ticketed and when he said that to the officer he was told speed had nothing to do with it.
Any given day.........

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I had a lady two weeks ago call me "F****** *******" as I was coming off plane by the Manogian mansion. I slowed down and went past at no wake so I wouldn't blow by them in that small channel. With her comment I followed up with "Do you eat with that mouth." At this point her husband throws his rod down and tells me "You can't talk to my wife that way. I'm going to f****** kill you." LOL so yes I guess that area is patrolled by more than the coast guard and Detroit police. And it is the first time that I have had my life threatened while being polite to another boater. Oh well...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a lady two weeks ago call me "F****** *******" as I was coming off plane by the Manogian mansion. I slowed down and went past at no wake so I wouldn't blow by them in that small channel. With her comment I followed up with "Do you eat with that mouth." At this point her husband throws his rod down and tells me "You can't talk to my wife that way. I'm going to f****** kill you." LOL so yes I guess that area is patrolled by more than the coast guard and Detroit police. And it is the first time that I have had my life threatened while being polite to another boater. Oh well...
Reason why I always carry, except in Canada. People are CRAZY!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts