Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few remote locations on our property where I'd like to establish small (about 1/4 acre) food plots. There's no way to get a tractor to these spots and I don't own an ATV. I have a backpack sprayer for spraying RoundUp and an Earthway spreader for planting, but I don't have any good way to break new ground. Since I also have a need to periodically mow other food plots and trails on the property, I'm considering purchasing a used BCS tractor (http://www.bcs-america.com). What's appealing to me is that I could use the BCS as both a tiller and a brush mower (not simultaneously, of course) and therefore would have only one machine to store/transport/maintain.

Do any of you have any experience with the BCS machines? Is this a reasonable approach for establishing/maintaining remote food plots or is there a fatal flaw in my reasoning?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
I have a few remote locations on our property where I'd like to establish small (about 1/4 acre) food plots. There's no way to get a tractor to these spots and I don't own an ATV. I have a backpack sprayer for spraying RoundUp and an Earthway spreader for planting, but I don't have any good way to break new ground. Since I also have a need to periodically mow other food plots and trails on the property, I'm considering purchasing a used BCS tractor (http://www.bcs-america.com). What's appealing to me is that I could use the BCS as both a tiller and a brush mower (not simultaneously, of course) and therefore would have only one machine to store/transport/maintain.

Do any of you have any experience with the BCS machines? Is this a reasonable approach for establishing/maintaining remote food plots or is there a fatal flaw in my reasoning?

Thanks,
Mike

Looks to me like it would work out pretty well. A little more physically demanding than sitting on a tractor or ATV . I would say go for it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can afford a good used ATV I would go that way.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/rvs/3054538886.html

You can use them for so many other things. I know money is always a problem. The other thing is how far you going with that piece of equipment?
I have to go a 1/4 mile plus to my plots. Them trips get longer and longer the older you get.
It's about 1/4 to 1/2 mile to my farthest food plots. I agree that an ATV, along with a dedicated brush mower, would be the ideal solution. But like you said, money is always an issue and the ATV/mower solution looks to be considerably more expensive than a BCS tractor with tiller and mower attachments.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have a David Bradley walk behind tractor, mine was made in the 50's. The walk behind tractors have been around since the 20's. Same idea as the BCS, set of wheels and a motor, mine just tows implements, no PTO. I'm in the same boat, wanted the implements for foodplots, and didn't want to purchase an ATV. I have a sickle bar mower, cultivator, and chisel plow for mine. I'm looking for a set of discs, and may purchase or build a small cultipacker. I've seen single bottom plows, but I get along fine with what I have even in new ground.

For what your doing, as mentioned it's more work, but better than trying to do it by hand. Before you purchase the BCS you may want to look on Craigslist for an old walk behind, could save you some $$$ and still get the job done. There was one on the Northern Michigan section of Clist with implements for $650 I believe.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My only experience in small plots tucked inside the woods would be the tree roots are almost at ground level and a rototiller will only bounce all around. I plant all my remote plots with a backpack sprayer and a Stihl trimmer and has worked great for 10 years. My larger plots I use a ATV and a disk.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
They seem to really hide the price for the base unit, which says to me expensive. How much are you really saving over an ATV with implements?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
120 Posts
A landscape company I used to work for had a BCS tiller and they are an incredible product. Durable and tough as nails and heavy so be ready for a workout.

The plus about BCS tractors is that everything is shaft driven. So no matter how thick of stuff you run it through you never have to worry about burning up a belt. The other benefit is there is about a hundred different attachments you can buy for the thing. Bush hogs, sweepsters, tillers, snowblowers and even a brush chipper I believe. Where some of these attachments might be useless for food plotting it might help justify the cost if you can double it for homeowner use since they are quite pricey.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If I was really into home gardening on a fairly large scale, I might buy one of these BCS units, but not for food plots. If you can't get implements to smaller plots back in the woods, you aren't going to want to walk one of these back n' forth. Just go with the various no-till options that are available...they're less work, less time and less money. Oh, and they work pretty well, too. :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
They seem to really hide the price for the base unit, which says to me expensive. How much are you really saving over an ATV with implements?
That's been my thought as well. When I was digging through their website to find pricing the other day when this thread first came up, it looks like one of the cheapest models was ~$1700. All I can figured is that the OP is only considered brand new everything, as opposed to considering items priced on the used market, when comparing the BCS verses an ATV.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's been my thought as well. When I was digging through their website to find pricing the other day when this thread first came up, it looks like one of the cheapest models was ~$1700. All I can figured is that the OP is only considered brand new everything, as opposed to considering items priced on the used market, when comparing the BCS verses an ATV.
Actually, I've been comparing the prices of used BCS tractors (with tiller and brush mower attachments) to ATVs (with disk and a separate brush mower). But regardless of how that comparison might turn out, I think I have to somewhat reluctantly agree with broom_jm. Walking to these remote food plot locations sans equipment can be a challenge, so walking a BCS tractor back and forth may get old in a hurry. So, at least for now, I think I'll stick with the no-till methods and purchase nothing. My wife (and Dave Ramsey) will be pleased...

Thanks to all for the very helpful feedback.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts