Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that I see that the MWT will be on the Bay this weekend it answers the question as to how every one is doing. But there has to be some of you guys that are just fishing for fun, we are going out of Hoyles on Saturday just for fun for the first time this year any ideas where to start? I have been out of the country for work and have not kept up as good as usual as to what is going on on the bay. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I seen some reports where guys were getting fish from 6 - 20 fow stright out from Hoyles and down towards the Kawkawlin River. Some were getting them on harnesses and some were using Husky Jerks.

I fished over by Gull Island on Sunday and landed 17 eyes in 7 to 10 fow pulling harnesses. I'm going to be fishing out of Au Gres this weekend cause i'll be turkey hunting up that way in the mornings then gonna hit the bay in the afternoons. Hope this helps!

Scott

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott,

Thanks for the info. We usually start off out of Hoyles and go nort. Will have to try south. Let us know how you do up in Augres as we are headed up that way week after next.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Do the guys that are in the tournament mark their boats in any way so you know not to be getting in their way? I plan to be out trolling all weekend and I don't want to screw up someones chance to win a tourny. I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
grouly925 said:
Do the guys that are in the tournament mark their boats in any way so you know not to be getting in their way? I plan to be out trolling all weekend and I don't want to screw up someones chance to win a tourny. I'm just wondering.
The tournament boats should have a yellow or red ribbon tied some place on their boat, but they shouldn't get any special treatment. They are just another boat out fishing for the day, just like you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Luckydog is right, tourney boats are visitors to your water and are just like anyone else out there that should follow proper sportsman etiquitte. If they do not, be sure to report it to the tournament officials at the veteran's memorial launch site. There is plenty of space and fish out there so can't we all just get along, lol.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I got it now. I went to the MWT tournament website and checked it out. I'm interested to see how many of the boats that have been out for the last week or so are tournament fishers doing their pre-tournament fishing. Seems like last weekend you couldn't do anything wrong as long as you were somewhere between the mouth of the Saginaw and Hoyles.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Catching a limit is the easy part, catching a big basket is another. You will see lots of white water this weekend as guys try to move alot to key in on schools of larger fish.

Chris

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I understand that. Five 3 pounders won't get you far. Does anyone know what a common 5 fish limit goes at in these tournaments?

·
Registered
467 Posts
It used to be 35-40lb a day, now it's about 22-30lbs to win it. Back in 2001 we had alot of big fish in the system, now we are banking on fish avg of 5lbs with the occasional 8-9lb kicker fish. A couple of years from now the cycle will start again, big fish for 2 seasons and then eaters for a couple of years.

Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
Lucky Dog said:
The tournament boats should have a yellow or red ribbon tied some place on their boat, but they shouldn't get any special treatment. They are just another boat out fishing for the day, just like you.
I agree with this statement but if I am out fun fishing I will always try to give a little extra room to a tournament fisherman or charter whenever possible. I don't have to do this but these guys/gals have money on the line and I'm just there for fun. I have been in thier situation many times and have really appreciated getting a little extra room. This is just about respect and treating someone that I want to be treated.

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
grouly925 said:

I've never fished any tourney's, but as big as the bay is,and as many walleye out there, no one should be close enough to anyone to screw up their fishing no matter what kind of fishing their doing. All fisherman should get same respect out there. Plenty of room for everyone. Just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts