Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time out on the bay, first time walleye fishing in a long time:

Went out of Linwood at 10am fish untill 2pm, caught lots of small walleye and on sheep head.
2 man limit by the end of the day, 90% came off spoons behind Walker mini disks set on 3 and 125ft with a 5 ft lead behind the disk. Real steady action all day had a couple doubles and even a triple.

Linwood is pretty shallow had trouble getting out, even touched a rock with the prop about half way through the cannel.

Thanks to all for some good advice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the water level varys with the wind direction. It is astonishing how much water moves out of the channel/marina with a w/sw wind. A few weeks ago I went out and you could just barely see the top of the sand bar on the north side of the channel bouys. Fished for a few hours and on the way in you could have walked to shore from about halfway up the channel. It must have been 1.5-2 ft of water that moved out from there.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Do what i do as soon as you hit the seawall put the hammer down, and on the same when you come in, drop down at the barge....

If your looking for a good launch the one out patterson rd state launch..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey not looking to pick a fight or nothing but I could swear it was no wake till you got out of the bouys. I would be cautious of busting in and out especially if there are many smaller boats around and as good as the fishing is right now I would imagine there will be a ton of smaller boats out there going in and out. Just my 02

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Screamer, your right. Hang back and let the channel clear of any slow boats and hammer down just outside the wall. Is the only safe way to go. IF you wait until the end you're in trouble unless you trim up and motor out a long ways. DO NOT motor north even a bit as there is rocks bigger than your boat scattered over there. JFYI next year the NEWER bouys will NOT have no wake on them. Management has no problem getting up on plane and going. JUST be respective to other boaters and make sure the channel is clear. I get some fingers thrown at me once in awhile but thats better than a 500 dollar bill for a SS 4 blade prop. Just for the record I DO NOT get on plane when someone is in the channel going in either direction. Skeeter

·
Registered
788 Posts
They dont care if ya come up on plane or are coming in at the sea wall as long as you are respecting the other boats in the channel,If there is others just slow down is all they ask.The water has been getting low with the west winds.Depth is usually 4.5-5.5 feet deep in the channel(our transducer is about 1 ft under the surface.
There was a 30 footer that came in the other day when we where goin out he just had his trim up and made her in just fine.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
The no wake rules end as soon as you pass the seawall at the barge. No wake only applies when you are "inland" which is inside the seawall, once you clear the Bay shoreline you can hammer. Just have to be courtious of the other boats in the chanell.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It would be nice to be able to get up on plane and boogey on out. 2 weeks ago I cleared all of the channel markers on my way out and thought it would be ok to get up and go. As I put the throttle down I felt the drag, sure enough I touched the bottom, backed off immediately. Boat ran fine for the 2 days, but when I pulled it out the prop was chewed up. I couldn't figure it out, as there were bigger boats then mine on plane, like you guys are saying earlier in the channel, regardless it was $77 to have the prop redone, thank god for spares. The bottom line is if you don't know be careful. The only problem I see, is that if there are other boats in the channel and you need to slow down and you are hauling ass through there, when you back off the throttle couldn't you hit the bow of the boat? I will take her slow, I am comfortable with that.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Are you saying hit the bow of the boat on bottom? If that is the case you dont need to worry about that,if you feel safe putn out then just put out to the desired depth ya want.No harm in that if that is what ya feel safe doin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts