Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using a kicker motor this year, and I was wondering how my fishfinder and gps are gonna run off a batter without the main engine running. It seems like it would just wear the battery out real quick. Any solutions?

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
golfpercy,

Many kicker motors have alternators which can charge a battery, however many do not have this feature. If you don't have an alternator I wouldn't worry about the gps and sonar running the battery down. The sonar and gps are not much of an electric load, and if you do feel the need, you can fire the main motor for a while to top up the charge. My feeling is not to worry about it, or put the gps and sonar on an auxilliary battery, such as for an electric trolling motor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
GP5, I think if your battery is in good condition & fully charged you should be fine. Gps and most fish finders don't require that much juice to stay running.
Two things to consider. 1- Is your battery a deep cycle Marine or just a regular cranking battery? 2- Does your motor have a pull cord and can you pull it to get it started?
Deep cycle battery would be a better choice for a long day.
If there is no pull or you can't bother with it then I would fire up the motor for 5 minutes every couple of hours and run at fast idle in neutral.
I run a fish finder and a FM radio off a deep cycle battery for over 10 full days of trolling. The battery gets charged at home and after all this use it hardly draws any amps which tells me there was plenty of juice left. The battery is about 850 Amp/hours and my finder draws about a half amp per hour. Don't have a clue about the Fm radio draw but I think I could go all summer with just the finder and never need to recharge.
Gary

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the kicker has a pull cord, so it wouldn't drain the batter that way. The best solution would most likely using an auxillary battery. Thanks for the replies, and if anyone has something to add feel free

·
Registered
227 Posts
I meant the big motor, depending on size, some large outboards still have pull cords. If you have a big beast O/B or an I/O then the question is moot.
I still don't think the GPS and finder will drain a good battery so look in the spec sheets for each and you should find how much each machine draws. Before I would go to the expense of a second battery just to run these units, I would buy one of those jump start gadgets to keep with you and also have it for your car/truck in winter. On the outside chance your battery did get drained, the jump start would get you going at half the cost and no need to rewire all your electronics.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Leave the GPS, fishfinder, etc. wired to your main cranking battery..... and don't worry about it. The battery drain will be negligible, even if you leave them on all day.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I agree with EY, leave them on the main starting battery. You do not want to wire your fishfinders to trolling motor batteries, you will get too much interference.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Perco switch/ two deep cycle batteries, throw switch to run accessory on one battery, then throw switch for main run battery, or there is a setting for both batteries, I always have two fully charged deep cycle's, one to run with, and one for just in case old Murphy comes along for a ride, hopes this helps~~><>...:cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Small drain or not, redundant systems are always a plus on big water. 2 batteries and an isolation switch would be my choice. If your kicker has an alternator, its no big task to wire it in to charge while running. If it doesn't, use a deep cycle as your second battery.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would deffinately agree with two batteries on big water. A back up could be a life saver and you never know when a battery will crap out on you. The Perco isolation switch is also a great asset that should be looked into.
Getting stuck out on the big lakes is a terrifying ordeal and if you are not fortunate to find one of us to help, the bill to get towed in would dwarf the cost of this minor SAFETY addition.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright so the kicker has no alternator. How long would a fishfinder and a gps last on a deep cycle before i had to charge it back up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts