1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two batteries on the boat:
BPS Power Series Deep Cycle 175 12volt Marine
&
Dayton Sportsman Multipurpose Recreational Maintenance Free.

The Deep Cycle is not powering my trolling motor. It's fully charged but when I hook the leads up from the trolling motor, I'm not getting any power at the foot pedal. When I hook up the other battery, I get power.:confused:

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
have it load tested, it my have a dead cell.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
have it load tested, it my have a dead cell. If you have a test light or multi meter take a reading. Test light-no light, dead battery. multi meter - fully charged it should read about 13 v

·
Registered
412 Posts
Due51 said:
When I hook up the other battery, I get power.:confused:

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the problem is.
Have you connected something else to the battery-to rule out intermittent post connection to cells, load test as offered...... finicky they are - electrical conections are fun

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently this was a trick question.
After I posted this, I thought, "I'm returning this to BPS."
I take it out of the boat, set it on the gunnel, and notice there's water in the plastic tray. "Hmmmm? Must have been water from Sunday's fishing trip."

WRONG!. It's battery acid from a crack in the battery.:yikes:
I have no idea how it cracked but it's not a good situation. I burned the carpeting in the back of the truck, some aluminum on the boat, and the counter at BPS. The next time you walk into that store, go to the Returns /Exchanges counter and look for a mess made on their brass counter top.:tdo12:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
waterfoul said:
But did they give you a new battery????
I got the pro-rated amount because I bought it new in April 06. 100% replacement is only good for the first 12 months. I've had the darn thing 13 months. Just my luck:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just to let you know if you store a battery outside it will crack if not fully charged.

Didn't know if it was stored in the boat last winter or in the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts