Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s getting to be that time of the year again, preventive maintenance on my 40hp out board Mercury. This is my first season having it to where I’m doing the maintenance. Does any one have any reviews on the Bass Pro Shop Brand oils. The motor oil and the lower gear oil. I want to use the best oil on the market, so if there is better oil, please leave a comment on to why and why not. Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
838 Posts
I certainly can’t answer your question but I was wondering the same thing today after seeing that oil on sale. Quite a bit cheaper than the mercury oil I bought this fall when I changed mine. I’ll be curious to the opinions here.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If it meets mfg.specs use it . It is a major oil company that re- brands it for Bass Pro. I personally use AMSOIL in my outboard (2 stroke) and lower unit too. No complaints, I believe it to be the best on the market..

Reactions: DetWalli

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
As long as it meets API and ILSAC specs I don’t worry about whether it is “good” or not. It is.

It isn’t 1985 anymore when there seemed to be a noticeable difference in brands and the premium blends were actually a better oil.

The marketing departments for the oil manufacturers are really good at trying to convince you to pay three times as much for the same thing though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.