Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Long time reader, newly registered. I am looking to do some bass fishing this evening and in the next few days as I am back in town until the end of the week (grew up in BC now live in Ypsilanti). I was thinking the kawkawlin and tibb were my best and closest bets for doing some bassin'. However, I have never really fished these rivers a whole lot. I do not have a boat so need shore access points. The only place I can think of as far as the kaw is by castaways but was wondering if ya'll knew some good shore points on these rivers.

Also anything particular the bass are striking right now? I have been doing well with top water poppers down state.

Not asking for any super secret hotspots, just a little advice.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like some nice bassin' going on. Don't recognize that; doesn't look like Imerman park, perhaps gordonville road? But isn't there construction that is preventing access to Gordonville launch?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like some nice bassin' going on. Don't recognize that; doesn't look like Imerman park, perhaps gordonville road? But isn't there construction that is preventing access to Gordonville launch?

You can still get to the launch, I went by their last night around 6:30 there Were a few people down their.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was out at the launch from 6-10 tonight. Not one single hit. Couple also fishing caught a cat and small pike. Not too much happening there today. Might try Center Rd. area tomorrow evening.

I tried KVD 1.5, a popper, storm wildeye.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Try hole hopping via automobile if you don't get anything going on one stretch of bank. Tons of spots to walk the bank and cast on that river. If they aren't hitting at one spot drive down to the next. They might just be holding on other structure. I have had many days I was casting the shallow wood structure on the imerman bank and was getting nothing then drove around to frost and bounced a twister deeper over the boulders right across the river and killed em, or visa versa....or did nothing at either spot but state st was on fire. I pretty much only carry 3 bait types for that river anymore. A tube, jig/twister and a popper. Especially bank casting it'd best for avoiding snags not to hit bottom unless its somewhere you know is clean. Other spots....pullover on the curve on gordonville west of the launch. Maple rd bridge, memorial park in freeland, drifters and the shiawassee flats off of center rd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try hole hopping via automobile if you don't get anything going on one stretch of bank. Tons of spots to walk the bank and cast on that river. If they aren't hitting at one spot drive down to the next. They might just be holding on other structure. I have had many days I was casting the shallow wood structure on the imerman bank and was getting nothing then drove around to frost and bounced a twister deeper over the boulders right across the river and killed em, or visa versa....or did nothing at either spot but state st was on fire. I pretty much only carry 3 bait types for that river anymore. A tube, jig/twister and a popper. Especially bank casting it'd best for avoiding snags not to hit bottom unless its somewhere you know is clean. Other spots....pullover on the curve on gordonville west of the launch. Maple rd bridge, memorial park in freeland, drifters and the shiawassee flats off of center rd.

Thanks. I think I am going to try West Michigan Park. Center Rd. Launch this evening before bowling league. Where is the access to Shiawasee flats? Center road ends into a drive way it appears.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ya that's it. It is a idk 1/4 mile walk back? You have to bust off the trail but usually there's thinner spots....then a ways down the trail it goes right by the river and the long trail loops all the way to the spillway area and along the shi for a little bit too. There's a big map at the trail head showing the trails.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
411 Posts
If your in ypsi I would hit the Huron good fishing and a lot closer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your in ypsi I would hit the Huron good fishing and a lot closer.

I do live in Ypsi and the Huron is literally 2 blocks from my front door. So I am normally out there nearly every morning/evening since it takes me 5 minutes to have a line in the water. The Carp are thousands thick right now and causing quite the headache.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would be careful fishing at the Flatts...I am sure you can only fish from the designated area that is marked along the river its a pretty small area probably less than 100 yards of shore:confused: ...its along the clearing you come across on the river trail other than that spot i think you can get a federal ticket for fishing anywhere else on the refuge...just a heads up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be careful fishing at the Flatts...I am sure you can only fish from the designated area that is marked along the river its a pretty small area probably less than 100 yards of shore:confused: ...its along the clearing you come across on the river trail other than that spot i think you can get a federal ticket for fishing anywhere else on the refuge...just a heads up

Hey, thanks for that tip. Wasn't going out there today but noted for the future as I did want to give it a shot at some point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts