Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

BaseCampLeasing.com - anyone tried it?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  gregm 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with this organization? I found it while cruising huntingnet. Sounds/looks pretty legit, but you never know. :rolleyes:

#4 ·
My experience with BaseCamp Leasing:

1) Their property "descriptions" are grossly exaggerated.

2) Their asking prices are typically well above market value- I don't know to what extent they are willing to negotiate.

If your friend is looking for bird hunting opportunities in Kansas, Iowa, etc. there are much better options (some of which are free) than leasing a single property. PM me if you'd like more information.

If he's looking for a deer hunting lease in Illinois, have them also look into the properties that are available through huntnshack.com.

#6 ·
Originally posted by jk hillsdale
My experience with BaseCamp Leasing:

1) Their property "descriptions" are grossly exaggerated.

2) Their asking prices are typically well above market value- I don't know to what extent they are willing to negotiate.

-snip
Have checked out a couple of their properties and have to agree. Now I think the properties were pretty good, and I was looking for and found birds, just not as good as they claimed, and they are very pricey.

#7 ·
I've had a little experience with base camp and rate it the same as the others did. You're lucky to find more than a handful of properties available in Michigan at any one time and the cost per acre is usually pretty high. As far as using the site goes, they have always been responsive in getting answers to questions I've asked.

I don't think Michigan is a big focus for them.

Good Luck on your land lease search!

#8 ·
I've had pretty good luck with them. They're located down in central Indiana near Indianapolis and that's were they started. I actually grew up a few miles from their offices There is very little public land in Indiana. In think the Manistee National Forest alone has more land than all public properties in Indiana combined. So that drives the cost of hunting leases in IN up due to higher demand compared to Michigan.

They are merely brokers who take what land owners want to charge, tack on their fee and list it at that. The can advise the owners, but in the end its the land owners who price the land and write the descriptions. In addition, anyone who wants to list land can, so if a farmer wants to list a bare bean field, they can. There should always be a strong "caveat emptor" position when entering into any internet transaction.

In my case, I printed off about 5 pages of properties I thought looked good and took a weekend driving around before I made my decision. I did see a lot of disappointing propositions before finding a few really good ones. I'm about to lease some land near Muncie, IN through them for dove, deer, and geese for next fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.