Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hall of Famer and longtime home run king Henry Louis “Hank” Aaron died Friday morning, his daughter confirmed to WSB-TV in Atlanta. The Atlanta Braves legend was 86.

Aaron, a 25-time All-Star, played in MLB from 1954-76 almost entirely with the Braves organization first in Milwaukee and then in Atlanta. In 1957 he led the organization to their first World Series pennant since 1914. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1982.

He passed Babe Ruth on the all-time home run leaderboard in 1974 with his 715th shot. He finished his career with 755. It stood for decades until Barry Bonds passed him and set the mark at 762.

Aaron, who was born in Mobile, Alabama, in 1934, overcame racism in the deep south and received death threats while pursuing Babe Ruth’s record.

I remember when Hank Aaron was closing in on Babe Ruth's record. There actually were "people" who were ticked that a Black man was going to beat Babe's home run record.

Reactions: martini77

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hall of Famer and longtime home run king Henry Louis “Hank” Aaron died Friday morning, his daughter confirmed to WSB-TV in Atlanta. The Atlanta Braves legend was 86.

Aaron, a 25-time All-Star, played in MLB from 1954-76 almost entirely with the Braves organization first in Milwaukee and then in Atlanta. In 1957 he led the organization to their first World Series pennant since 1914. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1982.

He passed Babe Ruth on the all-time home run leaderboard in 1974 with his 715th shot. He finished his career with 755. It stood for decades until Barry Bonds passed him and set the mark at 762.

Aaron, who was born in Mobile, Alabama, in 1934, overcame racism in the deep south and received death threats while pursuing Babe Ruth’s record.

I remember when Hank Aaron was closing in on Babe Ruth's record. There actually were "people" who were ticked that a Black man was going to beat Babe's home run record.
Worst news of the year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
666 Posts
One of my favorites even though he played before I was born . Always had a ton of respect for him - was a baseball nut as a kid and read up on him in books.
To make it to 25 all star games, the long career and lengthy home run king reign make him a legend forever.

·
Premium Member
14,858 Posts
Hammerin Hank. RIP sir. Thank you for the memories.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Man that's too bad. Remember him when I was a kid, of course being in the NL I didn't see him as much as others, but what a ball player.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,207 Posts
As a Michigander I don't recall ever having the pleasure of being able to watch him smoke a ball into the stands, in real time.. His impressive stats will live forever....RIP!!!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a Michigander I don't recall ever having the pleasure of being able to watch him smoke a ball into the stands, in real time.. His impressive stats will live forever....RIP!!!
I've lived near Detroit my whole life, so I really didn't get to see him play.

He had to put up with a lot of racist BS. I remember seeing him on TV, sharing some of the mail he would get;

RIP Hammerin' Hank

·
Super Moderator
37,512 Posts
Sure you could see him. Remember the
Oh Henry candy bar ads on TV? ;)
Being a Detroiter myself Willie Horton was my hero. RIP Hank.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts