Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

141 - 161 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
wow,this was 4 pages back!
anyone clue me in on ice conditions on deep or fish ,or long lake?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
always liked carter,havent been on it for many years.seen a few nice perch come out of it.1 or 2(if your lucky) a trip

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Sounds like things are surprisingly in decent shape now...with extended cold temps coming up. Tonight will really help firming everything up for the weekend warriors hitting it tomorrow. Great timing! I know one of my bros was on a Barry County lake today with good ice. One 25" pike and 5 bass...few hours in the middle of the day. I'm going for a bit of a ride up to the Newaygo area to try a lake I've never been on. But looking forward to hopefully feeling safe hitting some of our Allegan/Barry lakes here for the foreseeable future. Good luck to everyone heading out tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
eaton county lake yesterday,2 1/2 good ,plus 1 white inch.glad it was cold.headed to a barry fav tuesday or wed for perch,maybe.

Reactions: Timberdoodle2

·
Premium Member
10,591 Posts
Well, got out on my home lake tonight about 4:30. Still couldn't get to my perching grounds. 2 inches of good ice with an inch of white snow melt freeze on top. As I headed toward my spot, the ice got worse. 2.5 inches with an inch of slush on top. I went back to safe ice and probably caught 50 smerch in 30 minutes. Too bad only 3 were 8" or better. On a positive note, the ice closer to shore was about 4 inches and very smooth, so my daughter got in a some serious skating time. I ended up watching Tom Brady win another playoff game on my phone while the kids played in the shallows.

·
proud to be a.......
8,871 Posts
Reactions: slowpaya

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I am not looking for information regarding catch totals, but basically some general information. A number of years ago I went to a lake on the southern end of the county called Pine Lake (I think). It was a really cook lake that appeared to have some neat bays and such, but very limited parking. The ice was really sketchy when we went out and that was even after a long cold snap. I was just wondering if this lake usually takes a while to freeze. I was telling a co-worker that it could be a fun place to take his kid out for an enjoyable time on the water to hangout.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I guess I could...but hoping to get some better (and more trustworthy???) info here!!! I "know" enough of these guys and value their experience and opinions!

And it looks like the answers to my question here are more complete and certainly more up to date than on "iceshanty"...don't cha think?

(I'll head over tomorrow after school and take a peak and report out. Hope the smelt have rebounded some!)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Mallard master the ice on pine lake is the best ice ive been on all year. Over 6"as of last sunday.
Great place to take kids lots of hammer handle pike.
There is a few access spots small ramp on lake 2 thats $7 to park at and a launch on lake 1 by pine lake boat and motor.these are the 2 im familiar with.
Heads up there is a pike tournament there sat itll most likely be packed and limited parking

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Mallard master the ice on pine lake is the best ice ive been on all year. Over 6"as of last sunday.
Great place to take kids lots of hammer handle pike.
There is a few access spots small ramp on lake 2 thats $7 to park at and a launch on lake 1 by pine lake boat and motor.these are the 2 im familiar with.
Heads up there is a pike tournament there sat itll most likely be packed and limited parking
Is the launch on Lake 1 open to the public for open water? Can you launch a decent size boat there? Fun lake to fish in the summer, but doesn't take much to fill the parking at the $7 launch...been turned away a few times there. And hard to get turned around in there when the parking is full;)

141 - 161 of 209 Posts