Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

101 - 120 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Made it onto a newly frozen lake and did ok (around 10 in 2 hrs).
Drove by Waubascon on the way back and OMG was it full of trucks! The lot was full, the driveway in was full, and they were parking on the main road!!!! First time I've seen that.

Anyone on Thornapple?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I stopped at a couple area lakes that had guys on them but only found 2-3”. Not enough for my comfort level. Did find a popular spot with about 5” and plenty of guys spread out. I won’t mention because this area gets plenty of pressure as it is. Everything is so close...sucks that the next few nights look warm.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I stopped at a couple area lakes that had guys on them but only found 2-3”. Not enough for my comfort level. Did find a popular spot with about 5” and plenty of guys spread out. I won’t mention because this area gets plenty of pressure as it is. Everything is so close...sucks that the next few nights look warm.
Won't be much hurt. Make ice almost all of those nights. Vast majority of lakes are good for most guys. Still good to take a spud. Idiot today came out ice skating where we were. Went right down edge of cattails that was open yesterday. Lap after lap around the lake knowing nothing about conditions

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I checked a bunch of lakes on Saturday afternoon around Barry County. There were 1 or 2 guys on about every lake I checked. They, however, were much skinnier than me! I was finding a pretty consistent 3 inches of solid ice. I did notice a little creaking as I walked. I traveled a little North into Kent County today and found a lake with 4-5 solid inches. Fished it from 11-6. Picked away at the gills and kept 7 all 7-9 inches. Caught lots that were boderline. I tend just to keep enough for myself for a meal, so I can be picky. Looks like some decent weather coming out way towards the end of this coming week. How many times have I said that though?
IMG_20210110_132736257.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
96 Posts
guys were on 2 lakes by me in north eastern Barry county/eaton county line. I was surprised as these are deeper lakes. but i checked one and had barely 3" . daughter fished a lake south of charlotte and caught 15 keepers. be safe out there..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Made it onto a newly frozen lake and did ok (around 10 in 2 hrs).
Drove by Waubascon on the way back and OMG was it full of trucks! The lot was full, the driveway in was full, and they were parking on the main road!!!! First time I've seen that.

Anyone on Thornapple?

I saw 1 guy as he was coming off Thornapple Saturday. He was out about 50 yds. He said there was only about 2in. where he was and that it got worse quickly out a little farther. 140 lb.er. or he said he would not have gotten out that far. Ill wait a little longer.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Ran into a few. Biggest is a prion bigger than 9". 3" of ice. 2 hours. View attachment 631269

Nice work! Beautiful mess of gills. Four of us got another two keeper pike and about 20 gills/sunfish on a Barry County lake today. Not as nice as these, but a few good ones. Definitely not fast and furious but back to back days with a good kettle of fillets. Just ate my guts full on last nights mess...and leftovers in the fridge for breakfast! Sent today’s fish home with my bro-in-law so get the night off from cleaning fish;)

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
been doing good on a local lake,everything is set up around here,its 3-5 good ice,been getting 8 in gills,a lil sorting but almost everyone is within a 1/4 of 8 in.gonna take a break from the gills/cleaning and head into montcalm co tomorrow,something different.sure was a good fish fry tonight.good luck all,stay safe. say Drake,what bait for perch? any wigs around?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Great job, guys! I was going to take a picture of the 7 I kept Sunday, and remembered after cutting the fillets off of the first 3.5. Haha. The 7 I kept were 7-9 inches. I tossed back a lot of boderline gills. It's just me that eats them, so I can afford to be picky. Seems like we're all finding some nice ones! Colder weather is coming to preserve the ice and gain more!
IMG_20210113_162859605.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hit an Allegan county lake after work for a quick evening fish. Ended the night with 15. 11 over 8" and 3 over 9". They seem to be running bigger this year. Sure beats the typical 7-8" range I usually end up with.

·
Premium Member
10,598 Posts
Hit an Allegan county lake after work for a quick evening fish. Ended the night with 15. 11 over 8" and 3 over 9". They seem to be running bigger this year. Sure beats the typical 7-8" range I usually end up with.
I was on a Grand Rapids area lake last night that is spring fed and never gets really "good" ice. 3 to 4 inches, but the top inch was the sketchy white air filled stuff. It was going fast in the 40 degree temps. Got 10 nice perch (8 to 10") and 8 gills (8 to 9.5"), but still a slow bite. I would be very skeptical of the Barry County ice this weekend with another 40 degree day today.

I spoke to a guy on the ice last night that theorized that the gills and specks will run bigger this year, because with the short ice season last year, some of the more popular little lakes didn't get cleaned up by hordes of ice fisherman. A lot of 7 and 8 inch gills got to live another day. I never made to one of my favorite panfish holes on my home lake in Yankee Springs last year because of the crappy ice, and I have my doubts about this year as well.

101 - 120 of 210 Posts