Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
If a guy want's to risk his own safety that is his business. Just remember that we put others ask risk when they try to save us...Be safe out there everyone!
Man. So many of you every year say this without having a clue what the ice was even like. This guy lives on the lake and has checked it daily. I got on 4 out of 5 lakes i tried to get on today. And was safe on every one. How many did you hit with a spud?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Man. So many of you every year say this without having a clue what the ice was even like. This guy lives on the lake and has checked it daily. I got on 4 out of 5 lakes i tried to get on today. And was safe on every one. How many did you hit with a spud?
You make a good point. I bring a boat every time that the ice is safe too. I shouldn't jump to conclusions

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well. I walked out there and it was quite safe. Think that is less safe than the guys on every lake without a spud? I'd call it the smartest thing you could bring pretty much. Or wait until there is 8in.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Well. I walked out there and it was quite safe. Think that is less safe than the guys on every lake without a spud? I'd call it the smartest thing you could bring pretty much. Or wait until there is 8in.
I hear you...and trust you that it was safe. But you have to admit that dragging a boat behind you doesn't scream safe ice. I've been out 3 times a ways north on 3-4" of solid ice. Super safe and no boat needed. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I’ve done it with a canoe. It’s actually a really smart way to do something we shouldn’t be doing. Everyone’s risk assessment is different. I grew up on a lake during the 70’s and all of the 80’s. We had ice every year. Way different than now. It was first ice til last even as a kid. My dad took the time to make sure I had a plan for when I went through. Not if. Walking on frozen water is never safe. Springs, methane, waterfowl, wind, current and other factors make it that way. Posting on here that every lake you went to this past few days was safe is gonna get someone sleeping with Davey Jones. People new to the sport turn to this site to learn for some reason. They obviously haven’t had a spud in there hand for years and enough experience to make judgement calls. If gotta brag about how you find ice everywhere all the time do it through a pm. Can ya tell I’m a bit over caffeinated this morning. Now let’s go fish and b safe.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
i was on crooked yeaterday checking ice and it didnt take long, the buddy didnt have spud so used auger, had 4" on first hole drill another 3 ft away and it was 2.5 and cracked when i walked over to check thickness. not enough and to sketchy. open water in place on north side of lake

·
Premium Member
10,598 Posts
i was on crooked yeaterday checking ice and it didnt take long, the buddy didnt have spud so used auger, had 4" on first hole drill another 3 ft away and it was 2.5 and cracked when i walked over to check thickness. not enough and to sketchy. open water in place on north side of lake
Yep, a friend's son checked a Yankee Springs lake for me a couple days ago. 3 inches at the end of the docks, and then about 1.5 out in 12 FOW. Not quite yet. Maybe tomorrow?:evilsmile

·
Registered
402 Posts
No offense but your calling a guy dumb then checking ice with an auger. Dont go on early ice without a spud.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
hey i WAS NOT the guy calling anyone dumb look back at who posted that, it was not me and i i do normally use a spud and have for years the other guy my buddy was the one using the auger and it was right in front of his house.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Slow today!!!! Parking lot full and ice was a solid 3"+
Checked 3-4 lakes yesterday and no one on them, including Thornapple, which surprised me. That's a pretty early one.

Anyone on Gun, yet?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Yes, been on portions of gun, but other areas still open water, 4 - 5 inches in some areas, fishing beens slow a few fish each day, been out every day this week. Finally was able to fish another lake in the area today, been checking lakes daily and finally they are starting to lock up, another cold night an we should be good to go, but always check thickness any where you go. Good luck and happy fishing.

81 - 100 of 210 Posts