Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a barrel for my encore in 7mm mag or 300 mag for elk or deer witch, would prefer. I also do my own reloading. THANKS

·
Registered
792 Posts
I dont have an encore but either one of thoes would be perfect for michigan. I use a savage 7mm and my brothers dad uses a 300 win mag never any problems with either. Just about any deer hit usuall drops or only goes a few yards away. I would maybe look at prices of reloading, with that I think the 300 might win with the 30 cal bullet but not totally sure.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I own both calibers, the .300 in on my Encore. FYI my Encore .300 chamber has almost .200" of extra freebore in the throat - because of this I only use 200 gr bullets since I cannot seat the 165s or 180s out far enough for proper accuracy. [Have never tried factory ammo.]

Of course your results may vary but just a heads up.

I think the .300 is a better choice for versatility but the 7mm mag is a wonderful round also.

Bottom line is either one is fine; 7mm a bit less expensive to load and much less recoil.

I love shooting the 300 bbl on my Encore - folks think it is so loud since it looks like a short carbine but then I tell them its a 26" tube.

I am craving a 20" 45-70 Encore bbl so I can load heavy spire points.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
jack oconner made the 270 famous shooting elk with it.cheaper to reload an much much more enjoyable to shoot...just m .02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts