Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Barnes spitfire TMZ-250

4K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  SEMichiiganConservation 
#1 ·
Tagged out on this one saturday evening with my T.C.encore. buck was quartering away and found the bullet in the front end. The first one was my bow kill. Blessed to be able to harvest to beautiful michigan white tails .
Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Trunk

Snow Branch Deer Twig Fawn

Flooring Wood Metal Soil Fashion accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats Wired2track. Those are very nice deer! We switched over to Barnes bullets last year and really like them so far. My wife killed 2 big Canadian bucks with them. I was hoping to recover the bullets to see what they looked like but both of them passed completely through the deer - one quartering to and the other quartering away. Excellent terminal performance though. They both went down within 25 yards.

Last year she used the TMZ-290 grain bullet with the standard blue sabot in her Traditions muzzy with 100 grains of BH209. This year she used a 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander with a Harvester black Crush Rib sabot and the same powder charge in my T/C Pro Hunter. Both loads were very accurate at 100 yards and they both did the job on big deer.

#7 ·
I shoot t-ez as did Sal and a couple a buddies I helped get set up shot them.or.tmz...When dad was alive he shot 300 Expanders.... The t ez and TMZ do a helluva job but at least IME the expanders are just pure carnage on Whitetails.... There was a bigger exit and also.more blood loss I'd that's possible...

Reactions: Wild Thing
#20 ·
There have been a few threads on here since the .450 has been legal here in MI. I've been using the Bear Creek for about 4 or 5 years now. I'd never shoot a Hornady .450 at a deer again. All the bullets I've recovered have had 97 to 98 percent weight retention. Phenomenal ammo. The last 3 I've shot have dropped in their tracks. Never had that with the Hornady.

#18 ·
Somebody should know isn't the expander based on the original xpb pistol bullet

#14 ·
I have tried a lot of bullet, sabot, powder and primer combinations over the years...

Table Publication Shelving Recreation Desk

These are what are working the best in our rifles these days. Elaine has a Traditions Vortek and I have a T/C Pro Hunter
Handwriting Font Writing Paper Ink

I weigh all my powder charges for more consistency ...
Table Wood Games Plastic Kitchen utensil

100 Yard target - sub MOA accuracy...
Font Publication Automotive tire Advertising Fictional character

and pretty devastating terminal performance...

#31 ·
I shot one tonight with my 450. These bullets in 450 are even better than in my muzzy.
The 3 boxes I bought over the summer will likely last a lifetime for me.

I dont shoot much...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Bumper Packing materials

Reactions: LLSSt Clair
#32 ·
Love the 200 grain Barnes XPB out of my 20In AR. I have some Barnes 250 grain Tipped TSX BT to load up and try this summer. Not sure why as 100% happy with the 200 XPB.

Never recoverd a spent bullet in a deer. This load is not destroying a lot of meat. pictures are entrance, exit, and the heart of the same deer.

Barnes is making loaded ammo for the .450 Bushmaster.

Finger Whiskers Close-up Circle Fashion accessory
Liquid Fluid Paint Tints and shades Art
Liquid Eye Human body Jaw Neck
Ingredient Food Recipe Chemical compound Cuisine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.