Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
13,610 Posts
Congrats Wired2track. Those are very nice deer! We switched over to Barnes bullets last year and really like them so far. My wife killed 2 big Canadian bucks with them. I was hoping to recover the bullets to see what they looked like but both of them passed completely through the deer - one quartering to and the other quartering away. Excellent terminal performance though. They both went down within 25 yards.

Last year she used the TMZ-290 grain bullet with the standard blue sabot in her Traditions muzzy with 100 grains of BH209. This year she used a 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander with a Harvester black Crush Rib sabot and the same powder charge in my T/C Pro Hunter. Both loads were very accurate at 100 yards and they both did the job on big deer.

· Registered
14,027 Posts
Congrats Wired2track. Those are very nice deer! We switched over to Barnes bullets last year and really like them so far. My wife killed 2 big Canadian bucks with them. I was hoping to recover the bullets to see what they looked like but both of them passed completely through the deer - one quartering to and the other quartering away. Excellent terminal performance though. They both went down within 25 yards.

Last year she used the TMZ-290 grain bullet with the standard blue sabot in her Traditions muzzy with 100 grains of BH209. This year she used a 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander with a Harvester black Crush Rib sabot and the same powder charge in my T/C Pro Hunter. Both loads were very accurate at 100 yards and they both did the job on big deer.
I shoot t-ez as did Sal and a couple a buddies I helped get set up shot them.or.tmz...When dad was alive he shot 300 Expanders.... The t ez and TMZ do a helluva job but at least IME the expanders are just pure carnage on Whitetails.... There was a bigger exit and also.more blood loss I'd that's possible...

Reactions: Wild Thing

· Registered
957 Posts
Love me some Barnes TMZ solid copper....

If they made something like that in .450 bushmaster, instead of lead that fragments I might be more interested in .450

Great job on the bucks, congrats!
I switched this year from Hornady to Barnes. Haven’t had a shot with it yet to see the difference though. Was hoping for a pass thru opposed to last years Hornadys bullet path. Killed the deer but entered the left front quarter and found the bullet in the left rear leg. That was on a mostly broadside shot maybe a little quarter to me. I did have to resight the gun as it did change a blittle
Font Screenshot Parallel Wood Web page

· Registered
25 Posts
I shoot t-ez as did Sal and a couple a buddies I helped get set up shot them.or.tmz...When dad was alive he shot 300 Expanders.... The t ez and TMZ do a helluva job but at least IME the expanders are just pure carnage on Whitetails.... There was a bigger exit and also.more blood loss I'd that's possible...
Here are the entrance and exit wounds from the Expander MZ:

Quartering away entrance…
View attachment 868079

exit…
View attachment 868080

man’s the bullet kept on going - never recovered.
wow, that’s impressive. Going to try and get my hands on some expander’s and give them a shot.

· Registered
13,610 Posts
I have tried a lot of bullet, sabot, powder and primer combinations over the years...

Table Publication Shelving Recreation Desk

These are what are working the best in our rifles these days. Elaine has a Traditions Vortek and I have a T/C Pro Hunter
Handwriting Font Writing Paper Ink

I weigh all my powder charges for more consistency ...
Table Wood Games Plastic Kitchen utensil

100 Yard target - sub MOA accuracy...
Font Publication Automotive tire Advertising Fictional character

and pretty devastating terminal performance...

· Registered
899 Posts

If they made something like that in .450 bushmaster, instead of lead that fragments I might be more interested in .450

· Registered
14,027 Posts
I have tried a lot of bullet, sabot, powder and primer combinations over the years...

View attachment 868085

These are what are working the best in our rifles these days. Elaine has a Traditions Vortek and I have a T/C Pro Hunter
View attachment 868086

I weigh all my powder charges for more consistency ...
View attachment 868087

100 Yard target - sub MOA accuracy...
View attachment 868088

and pretty devastating terminal performance...
Top picture box on right getting tossed?

· Registered
14,027 Posts
Shot the 250 grain mz a bit from a optima v2 pistol with 50 to 60 gr blk hrn 209. Still Expand pretty good at lower velocities.
Somebody should know isn't the expander based on the original xpb pistol bullet

· Registered
269 Posts

There have been a few threads on here since the .450 has been legal here in MI. I've been using the Bear Creek for about 4 or 5 years now. I'd never shoot a Hornady .450 at a deer again. All the bullets I've recovered have had 97 to 98 percent weight retention. Phenomenal ammo. The last 3 I've shot have dropped in their tracks. Never had that with the Hornady.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts