Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Nice bird! As for bands, it's not always "some guys have all the luck" it's more like "some guys hunt 3 miles from there they band birds in June every year..."

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
T
Nice bird! As for bands, it's not always "some guys have all the luck" it's more like "some guys hunt 3 miles from there they band birds in June every year..."
Thats why birds banded years ago are awesome

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
My drake wood duck shot in Holland was banded in n w Iowa.

My buddy's hen wood duck banded in the south marsh at NP was shot in zone 22 at NP 150 yards from where it was banded.

If the op's bird was banded when too young to fly, maybe some of it's siblings are out there with bracelets too! Edit, looks like it was banded as an adult. Pity.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True to an extent. They do band at the Miner Sanctuary not more than 20 miles away from his place. The band is from Wisconsin so I’d say that one is pretty lucky. He’s short a few miners, some tarsals, and just regular old single banded birds. If/when I go there once covid lifts, I won’t complain if I shoot a miner tarsal, even if it is within 20 miles of the sanctuary. That would be a cool bird to check off the list.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
To be clear, I wasn't crapping on this guys trophy....it's just that folks get all worked up over bands when plenty of guys with a lanyard full shot them close to where most of them were banded.

The mallard that I shot at Pte. Mouileee was from 850 miles north in Ontario. One of the goose bands I have was taken about 400 yards from where it was put on the bird. It's neat to get one, but the "status" of shooting bands needs to be kept in perspective.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The “status” of shooting a banded bird is entirely up to who killed it and nobody else. I don’t care if it was banded yesterday a mile away. It’s a memory of what happened that day for me. Maybe your dog blew your mind on an impossible retrieve. Maybe it was who you were with. I love hearing people tell me they got a band and what lead up to it. I have a Miner band that lead to a detour on family vacation to Niagara Falls. We visited the Miner Sanctuary and got to learn some stuff. The “status” of that band became elevated because of our trip. Bands are cool no matter how you look at it. I hope I never have soo many that I loose sight of that

·
Registered
176 Posts
Shot a drake mallard that sported a miner band in the kzoo area about 6 years ago.

Pretty cool to get on a hunt where it was just 2 of us.

Field hunt. Group of approx 10-15 mallards land a little long. We open the doors and i pick out 1 drake instead of flock shooting. To this day i am not sure why i only shot once but i pick up the bird and it had a Miner band. Knew right away because of the shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts