Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wonderin if anyone can help me out. went out to mouth of the huron yesterday just messin around castin spoons for steelies. no luck. i ventured down roberts road by the state game areas and got to the end to find a huge yellow cross gate with like 7 cars parked in a lot. im not real familiar with the area but i hear if u walk out past the gate it takes u out to the banana dyke. just curious if this is true and does anyone do any good out there this time of year? i know walleye is closed but i was thinkin perch..so i might head out there saturday so i was just wonderin if it would be worth my time. any one with any info please PM me just lookin for a spot to catch fish this time of year any info would help.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
That leads you right to the dyke. But, it has been ice out for a couple weeks now, if there is ice, then it jsut formed because of the recent cold snap. If you could get there in a boat, i bet it would be killer...

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Yeah, i know in sumemr right off the dock its good. Not in spring, though. I would get a perch rig, so you can cast it out a ways, and, the enntrace would probaily be the best spot. But, it won't be that good unless you have a boat.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
BassBoss,Yeah thats the way to the dike,we used to fish out there as soon as the ice went off for jumbo's and has produced some of the biggest perch I have ever caught(almost 16").We fished off of the peir using 2 hooks and a good size bell sinker on the bottom.I used my 9' steel head rod so I could cast for distance.We rode mt. bikes out that had a rack with a milk crate attatched to it with pvc rod holders on the out side and the minnow bucket inside.One word of caution,do not leave anything of value in you vehicle,I've posted this before..I had a truck stolen out there,my b/l truck was trashed and 4 others broken in to in one day,so be careful.Let me know if I can be of ant further help........Gary

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
BassBoss,I for got to add that the first peir that you come to is good for cats at night in the summer but is not the banana dike peir.You go down to the T in the road and go left until you see a steel building on the right,go around the back of the building along the lake and the perch peir is about 250ydrs down on the left.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skullduggary, are u talking about the end of that point behind that building and it comes to an entrance to that area of water separated from the lake? then on the other side is another point about 100 yards due north? ive fished there before but only caught carp, and the current is really weird goin out towards the lake.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Is there a channel that boats can get into banana dyke from the lake? I would like to try there but I don't like the idea of my truck getting broke into or stold. I can go to other places that I don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
The southern 1/3 of it is dyked off....i think that is where your talking about....there is anohter barge on the north end that may be good. If you can get a boat in there now, it would be killer.....i think???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts