Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering the same thing matt11 and also has anyone ever taken a snowmobile along the edge to the pull over and then walked in to reduce the walk? I've taken snowmobiles all the way around to the mouth before but that's only if the lake is thick enough and I'm sure it isn't yet.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
I made that walk once, once...

I would do it again if there was a chance at a 36 inch perch or maybe a 4ft walleye....

<*)))>{

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The whole river mouth has been froze for a while now. could probably walk accross from the DNR headquarters to shorten the hike

·
Registered
3,218 Posts

I would do it again if there was a chance at a 36 inch perch or maybe a 4ft walleye....

<*)))>{
Yeah...It would take a lot for me to make that walk again too! :lol:

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
Yeah...It would take a lot for me to make that walk again too! :lol:
Ya know the worst part?

The fact that your walking all that way pulling a wagon on a road that a toyota prius could drive with ease... I think that's the part I didn't like the most, sort of made me feel stupid, especially when you walk almost the whole way and see the BP truck sitting there!

I don't mind walking that far, I would just rather do it on the big lake!

<*)))>{

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree the walk is unreal... That's also why you will never see more than a dozen ppl out there...yes you have the chance of Gettin some nice fish but also could be makin the long back in with an empty bucket

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Ya know the worst part?

The fact that your walking all that way pulling a wagon on a road that a toyota prius could drive with ease... I think that's the part I didn't like the most, sort of made me feel stupid, especially when you walk almost the whole way and see the BP truck sitting there!

<*)))>{
That's what makes it a nice place... No vehicles or guys setting up 5 feet from you.... That walk has been more than worth it to me more times than I can count but like you scratcher I'd rather walk 3 miles on Erie than 3 miles through the marsh.

But I highly doubt a Honda Prius would make it even to the parking lot lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's what makes it a nice place... No vehicles or guys setting up 5 feet from you.... That walk has been more than worth it to me more times than I can count but like you scratcher I'd rather walk 3 miles on Erie than 3 miles through the marsh.

A Prius would have 3 bent rims just gettin to the lot lol

·
Registered
262 Posts

<*)))>{
HAHAHA Same here went out there last year. really didn't know where to go then I found some tracks in the snow (human) and followed them to what seemed to be the end of time. not no but hell no...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ya know the worst part?

<*)))>{

It is a big lake? Lake Erie...

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
The walk is intimidating for sure... I tell myself I'm getting a workout and fish are a bonus. I actually enjoy it out there for the lack of company and the size/variery of fish I've pulled out of the ice. I will NEVER again pull a sled out there on a warm day with no snow on the trail... never been so exhausted.

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
SAFETY TIP!!!

Do NOT walk on the ice in the drainage ditch that starts right a the parking lot. The water is DEEP!!! At least 6'... I know someone who found out the hard way... that ice melts fairly quick with runoff from the field.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I made the PILGRIMAGE out there....
twice
first time I told myself "they just weren't biting well, but the three we got were PIGS!!"
so I went again.......and got 5 as I recall?!!!
.....not again...and yes......"trick me twice...shame on ME!"

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
The pilgrimage is part of the... experience lol. Last year was awful... horrible walk, huge drifts and then, drilling holes in 3' of ice with a hand auger. It was not real good for numbers of fish either. Just pigs

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
A Prius would have 3 bent rims just gettin to the lot lol
I tried to pick the most wimpy vehicle I could think of trying to be descriptive.. lol..

Funny that the roads getting there are worse than the one once inside..

I give you Banana Diehards some credit man, I think that may have been the worst skunk I ever took... It was last season and cold as all hell...

Last year I did it just to satisfy my curiosity about the place, I'm not curious anymore...

<*)))>{

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I fished out there in the spring once, years ago and had the best limit of perch I've ever caught...every one was huge.
I've made the journey out there twice during the winter and I wouldn't do it again.
I could walk out on Saginaw Bay and back for less energy and more fish :dizzy:

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
I fished out there in the spring once, years ago and had the best limit of perch I've ever caught...every one was huge.
I've made the journey out there twice during the winter and I wouldn't do it again.
I could walk out on Saginaw Bay and back for less energy and more fish :dizzy:
What time of spring? Right after ice out? During the hog walleye run? During the eater male period?

Reason I ask is I prefer to eat a limit of nice perch over walleye and I assume the timing of the perch and DR walleye run overlap.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
It's an awful place and totally not worth it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts