Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandpa gave me his old Bambo fly rod a while back. It is from the '30s-'40s. I am wondering if it would still be strong enough to land some trout. Are there factors that effect the strength in the way it is stored?

N

·
0 Posts
Carp,

Take a close look at the rod...check for cracks with a magnifying glass, if necessary. Also check the guides and check for loose wraps. When you put it together, if you hear some clicking at the ferrules when you cast, they're in need of re-working/gluing. Depending on what it's worth and what it's worth to you, you can decide whether or not to refnish it or have someone else do the job. A warning: bamboo rods are addictive in the truest sense of the word. If you get one in your hands you like...a nice, slow, smooth action, then you'll probably want more. If you cross a certain threshold, you're in fairly deep and then you'll be prowling around Bob Summer's place all the time which will get you one of the finest rods you can imagine. Have fun..good luck....

regards,

Nichol

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yep, boo storage is important. Ideally most guys I know hang there rods vertially in a bag, low humidity, moderate temps.
Not an expert but check out your rod, do the windings look like they have mold/mildew? Handle has mildew? Does the rod have any segments that seem to be comming apart when you gently flex each section? If any of the sections seem loose or look like they glue is not solid, do not bend anymore. Rods stored in closed containers with mositure from that era tend to come apart easly.
How do the ferrules look, any cracks, do you have to force them or do they slip together with gentle pressue. Maybe some steel wool to buff up the male if they are tight.
I have a couple rods made in 30s and are still fine to fish with so if your rod was stored in good condtion, heck have fun with it. Maybe I should ask this, is the name of the maker on it?
If you see a name like Payne, Garrison, Dickerson, Young you may want to do a bit more research as some of those are worth a fair bit of bucks.
There are several good rod restores around if you want to spend a few bucks and get it redone.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Try contacting RON BARCH and subscribing to the Planing Forum.
I think it is 20 buck a year.
There are a ton of Boo builders out there ready and willing to share all they know.
They even have get togethers.
John Long would be another source of great info and classes.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info.

There are not defects in the way the ferrules fit, or in the blanks itself. I am planning on refinishing it this winter and making it a conversation piece as well as a functional fishing rod.

It is not made by any well known manufaturer, just my Grandpa, so it is probably not worth too much money. It is a nicely built rod, but it shows its age.

Again, Thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Chris,

If the rod was made by your grandfather, it's a treasure.

regards,

Nichol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts