Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired an old bamboo fly rod in exchange for some violin repairs I did. I'm calling one everyone that's knowledgable in the bamboo circle to provide some information if possible. I have several Bamboo rods at the moment but have never seen anything quite like this one. I'm told it's split cane although I'm suspicious. There's no question the rod is wood but beyond that I can't be too certain. This rod is old! It was made by "Morley Brothers". As mentioned above, Possibly cane however, it is not a hexagon rod, it is round. Never in my life have I seen a split cane rod that was round till now! I have seen the Quadrates' (4 sided), ovbviously the Hex's, but round? This is a new one on me! Can anyone shed some light on when it was manufactured, where, and possible value? The rod is heavily varnished which has begun alligatoring. It has intermediate wraps all along it's length. Although the varnish is dark, the Bamboo itself is realitively light in color. Silver ferrules, the usual snake guides, sliding downlocking reel seat, and cigar shaped cork grip. It's a three piece rod that pushes 9 ft although I haven't measured it just yet. Soft as a buggy whip although I'd put it in the 5 or possibly 5 wt catagory! Being a violinmaker, straightening the rod represents no problem, we bend wood without difficulty. Thanks in advance for the input guys!

Toddfather

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
the only info that i can give is that there was a Morley Brothers store in saginaw. they closed the doors back in the late 70's some time. but i think the store open in the ealy 1900's. they sold every thing you could imagine. kinda like an early version of a k-mart store. when they closed they carried a good inventory of hunting an fishing supplys.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Morley brothers are still open but under the name Morley Companies, Inc. http://www.morleynet.com/

They now only do e-solutions for business, still located in Michigan. You may chose to call their customer service number and they might have some history on this rod.

Mark

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Can you post some pictures OSD? Id love to see it. Ive got something I think is wood and tubular but I dont know. It looks like a wood colored fiberglass tooso Im not sure. Very interesting!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Todd, I saw one round rod which was a wood...greenwood in that case. I was told long ago rods there were some rod from wood and they tended to be round, very soft.
You may want to check out Bamboo Fly Rods at Ezboards...this is all about bamboo rods, building and repair..they have a pretty good group of guys there that may be able to shed some light on your suprise rod. When lost I look for this site from Clark's Rod site.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I do have a call in to Glen Blackwood but haven't talked with him as of yet! It appears that I do in fact have an old Greenheart flyrod! I have been able to ascertain that it is a century vintage. There are quite a number of people that still desire these, and their soft casting qualities (matter of personal taste). I'll be calling this a project in the not too distant future. I plan on stripping the crusty varnish, re-wrapping the guides, ferrules, and possibly the intermeadiate wraps. I'll spin down the cork grip since it is way oversized to suit my likeings. I'll be keeping the reelseat intact since it's in pretty good shape and would rather not destroy the earmark of the rod's vintage. I'll try to post a picture but admittedly, there won't be much that can be seen since the finish on the rod is almost black and very crusty! I did scrape a section of the varnish off to see the wood below. Aside from being a breath heavy in hand I could see this to be a very nice nostolgic nymphing rod.

Toddfather

·
Registered
941 Posts
Congrads on a interesting find. Say, keep your eye open for a silk line to make your greenwood a matched set. Those eyelets are probably pretty small and that silk line will slide through them pretty well. A new one is rather pricey but who knows, you may run into one somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts