Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a mature bald eagle fly over my work van on 127 just north on Lansing on Thurs midday. It was only about 50' above me - wish I had a camera ready :sad:

Always nice to see them, even better when its up close.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
At 2004 Grouse Camp, there was one sitting in the tree on the waters edge right behind the resort. You don't realize how big their wing span is until you are really close to them and like you, I didn't have the camera handy.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I saw one in Port Huron today.
It was barely 200 feet up and right above the intersection of Pine Grove and Sanborn.
Right above the eagle were 5 sea gulls, kinda strange, maybe they were hoping for some leftovers.

I wonder how many 1000s of people never looked up in the sky and missed out on that bird.

They sure are nice to see, in fact I have lost count of how many sightings I have since 1980.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Last Spring on the AuSable we witnessed a mature Bald Eagle land on top of a Pine tree across the river from us. Seagulls repeatetdly dive-bombed the Eagle until it flew away. Later we discoverred that there was a half eaten Steelie carcass on a gravel bar in the general area. I figure the gulls were protecting the food source.

Very cool to see. I was pulling for the Eagle to have a sky rat sandwich for lunch but it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
We've seen a mature one (or two) on two different occasions on the 'Zoo' River near G.burg. It's wonderful to see they have spread out/increased their range downstate...or come back 'home!' Great to see all raptors rebounding after the decrease of the poisons that knocked their numbers down in years past.
~m~

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
We saw in immature one a few years back in St. Clair County. He was in a dead tree, maybe 30 ft above us. Massive bird.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
saw another mature bald eagle sitting in a tree next to I-80 near Sandusky this morning while driving back from Pittsburgh. There was a fox crossing an open field that he was watching. competition i guess :eek:

LOTS of redtails sighted too (more than a dozen) including a first for me. Two redtails sitting side-by-side on a highway fence preening each other. Never seen that before and of course.....no camera again :sad:

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are a number of eagles at Shiawassee NWR right now, although the warm weather has kept them spread out. Generally, in January the rivers and drains are iced over and they concentrate near open water areas to pick up crippled waterfowl and fish. Last year in January there were 69 counted on one day. This year I think the high count was in the 30's. Plus a golden eagle was out there a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a bald eagle that has a nest on Mona Lake about 200 yards from my house. Last Friday while walking he soared over me, awesome sight to see. I see him/her several dozen times a year but that was as close as he came so far.

·
Banned
19,600 Posts
Here is a pic of one that flew over my house in Traverse City last year. I was also able to take about a 10 second avi of it but I don't know how to upload a video file. They are very cool birds, amazing how large thier wingspan seems when they are up close.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sun 2/12

a pair were flying over I-75 near the Birch Run rest stop. Nice to see them anytime/anyplace !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.