Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious has any body herd of any serous baiting violations? And any big fines? I haven't herd a word around roscommon area, and only saw one DNR truck so far during the whole season. I am a electrician and have been very buys and a lot of traveling, and nobodys saying anything, was just wondering if they are really pushing this band seriously?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Know of an entire camp north of me in Hubbard Lake that all got fined. Was not a comfortable day from what I was told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Here's an interesting tidbit from the District 3 section of the enforcement report: "COs Sidney Collins and Dan Liestenfeltz responded to a subject who self-reported accidentally shooting a cow elk during the firearm deer season. The subject thought it was a deer. The elk was donated to a food bank and charges have been requested for shooting an elk out of season without a tag." This was the first time I've heard of a cow elk being shot.

·
Registered
35,212 Posts
Here's an interesting tidbit from the District 3 section of the enforcement report: "COs Sidney Collins and Dan Liestenfeltz responded to a subject who self-reported accidentally shooting a cow elk during the firearm deer season. The subject thought it was a deer. The elk was donated to a food bank and charges have been requested for shooting an elk out of season without a tag." This was the first time I've heard of a cow elk being shot.
We are going to have to disagree on this one. He intentionally shot the cow elk, it was not an accidental discharge of a firearm. Hunter safety rule number one, Know your target and what’s beyond. If he read the hunting digest he knew ahead of time that the mandatory fine for shooting an elk without a license is $5K. It could have been worse the trial of a hunter who misidentified another hunter as a deer just reached its conclusion.

https://www.9and10news.com/2019/12/...-of-shooting-killing-hunter-in-antrim-county/

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
We are going to have to disagree on this one. He intentionally shot the cow elk, it was not an accidental discharge of a firearm. Hunter safety rule number one, Know your target and what’s beyond. If he read the hunting digest he knew ahead of time that the mandatory fine for shooting an elk without a license is $5K. It could have been worse the trial of a hunter who misidentified another hunter as a deer just reached its conclusion.

https://www.9and10news.com/2019/12/...-of-shooting-killing-hunter-in-antrim-county/
I agree. The accidental discharge phrase was in the quote of the report.

·
Registered
35,212 Posts
This will make the next time you have heard about cow elk poaching. Today news story.
https://www.9and10news.com/2019/12/18/3-elks-poached-in-otsego-county-dnr-investigates/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts