Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother processes deer this time of year and he had a guy stop by with some containers and wanted him to put deer scraps in them to use for hunting yotes. I thought I read on this forum that, that was not legal, can anyone clear this up for me. thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Straight from the DNR web site.... http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10880-31600--,00.html

Bait
You may use parts of furbearing animals, woodchuck, and red squirrel as bait in trapping. However, no other game or protected animals may be used as bait. Your bait should be placed where it is not visible to nontarget species such as owls, hawks and eagles.

But this is also talking in regards to snare trapping (as far as I can see).​

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
it also says that baiting with these animals is only legal with trapping. as far as i am aware you may not bait any predators while hunting. besides there is no better feeling than when you call tht coyote in. maybe others can tell you more but im pretty sure im right on this one.

mike

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
UPstraightshot,

Youre right, it would be illegal in two, if not three ways...

1) you cant use parts of game or protected animals as bait
2) taking animal parts and dumping on public land is "littering"
3) As mhodnettjr said, it probably isnt legal to hunt over bait

You would be well advised to post your question in the law forum, though.

-NC

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is legal to shoot coyotes over dead deer or to use them to start dogs fromthe same, just another advantage they have that the trappers don't. Jim

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
By law it would be illegal to use deer to bait for any trapping or hunting of coyotes however, it would be pretty difficult to prove that a person was using a road kill or any other dead deer for hunting coyote since deer die many different places. I would never issue a road kill permit to someone that said he wanted it to bait coyotes to hunt but I don't ever see me being concerned about someone hunting over the carcass of a dead deer in the woods either unless there was a reason to believe the deer itself was killed illegally from the start.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Boehr: I have never heard anyone including local CO's say it was illegal to use deer to hunt over, does it say anything in the hunting and trapping guide about that. If it is illegal why wouldn't you be concerned? Would you be concerned if someone used a piece of venison down a dirt hole with a trap in front of it? More then once I have called to get a road kill to see if there was any usabe meat on it and in just the few minutes it took to get the OK the deer was already picked up. Have a great and happy retirement, I am in the eleventh year of mine, caught 34 coyotes using beaver meat for bait so far this year. Jim

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
James, I gave the best answer I could. I really don't make things up as I go along but I do try to provide answers in lyman terms the best I can.;) Here is the law and if you see anywhere that states you can use deer as bait for hunting coyotes please correct me because I am not right 100% of the time and even I can make a mistake of course my answer hasn't changed in over 25 years.;) As far as you never hearing about it from your local COs, maybe that is because of the reasons in my first post, ya think?

Sec. 2.5(2) In addition to the daylight hunting hours specified in subsection (1) and during those dates specified for the use of artificial lights in sections 2.4 and 3.605, a person traveling afoot at night and in possession of only a bow and arrow, a rimfire firearm .22 caliber or smaller or shotgun with loads other than buckshot, slug or cut shell may take within their specified open seasons raccoon, opossum, and fox with the aid of dogs; and fox and coyote, during the season open to the taking of fox, with the aid of a game or predator call. Subject to section 43510, subsections (2) and (3), of Part 435, as amended, hunting and fishing licensing, MCL 324.43510, a person hunting these species during the nighttime hunting hours shall not possess a loaded firearm or bow with a nocked arrow except when one or more of the following conditions apply:
(c) The person is taking coyote or fox with the aid of a game or predator call during the open season for taking fox by hunting.

Sec. 3.600(8) It shall be unlawful for any person: To use any portion of any animal or bird protected by the laws of this state as bait for the purpose of trapping any animal in this state. This subsection shall not be construed to prohibit a person from using the carcasses of fur-bearing animals, woodchuck, or red squirrel, lawfully taken, as bait.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is very plain in the guide that you can't use venison in trapping. I know it doesn't say you can use it for hunting but I can't see where it says you can'teither, it is very common up here to have the road kills picked up or venison scraps from processors put out to hunt over. We got way too many laws and some gray areas that need to be more specific. Jim

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Jim,

In my opinion there are tons of "gray areas" which are left up to a CO's discretion, when looking at a given situation. For instance, what constitutes hunting OVER bait? Does that mean in view? Does that mean within x-yards? Alot of people already complain that there are way too many regs and theyre already difficult to remember or track down. Personally, I agree that there should be a statement to either allow or forbid hunting over protected-animal parts. Theyve made the statement clear in respect to trapping....they should also make it clear for hunting. The extra line or two shouldnt complicate the regs too much.

Not to clutter the discussion, but I am 99% sure that depositing the post-processing animal remains (bones, hide, trimmings) on public land, is considered littering. Wierd, isnt it?

-NC

·
Registered
804 Posts
NC: You pretty much agree with me. I see scraps put out on state land where they check them to start the dogs from, but most of the ones to shoot over are on private property so they got it to there self. I put a ? into ask the DNR to see what answer I get.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
boehr said:
By law it would be illegal to use deer to bait for any trapping or hunting of coyotes however, it would be pretty difficult to prove that a person was using a road kill or any other dead deer for hunting coyote since deer die many different places. I would never issue a road kill permit to someone that said he wanted it to bait coyotes to hunt but I don't ever see me being concerned about someone hunting over the carcass of a dead deer in the woods either unless there was a reason to believe the deer itself was killed illegally from the start.
The above quote, IMO would definitely pass a reasonable person's test regarding the treatment of this issue.

It may not be all that productive to worry this issue any further, since I am sure that our state's hunters and trappers can all agree that we have an abundance of coyote to go around ;) .

Jim, congratulations on the outstanding take of coyotes! It sure would be great if you could share with us a few pictures and some trapping advice for the younger trappers that frequent our forum.

Good Luck on the winter trapline!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I just got reply back from ask the DNR,
I asked:What is the law on using road killed deer or venison scraps to shoot coyote over or to start dogs from to chase the coyotes.
Reponse(Jacqueline Waber) 12/01/2005
As long as the venison or road killed deer are lawfully possessed, you may use the meat as bait for the purposed of hunting coyotes.
Dave it isn't that we don't have enough coyotes for both hunters and trappers, I just wanted to state was was legal for hunting, but a tiny bit of deer down a dirt hole with a trap in front of it would be illegal.

Jim

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
There's even guides in the U.P. that put hunters in deer blinds baited with scraps and shoot yotes and cats over the "bait."

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for going to the extra effort to get an answer to this question from the DNR.

Now I guess, if you think it would be a good idea, maybe we should persue the MTA to see if we can get equal footing on this issue with the coyote hunters.

Fortunately, for us trappers (IMO), we have a lot of excellent choices for what we can use for coyote bait, besides vension. Besides I really like to eat my vension and not share it with the coyotes :D .

I am current cleaning out our freezer and I have a little leftover legally taken Yukon moose meat, that is getting a little freezer burnt. I wonder if it would be legal to use this meat for coyote bait ;) .

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Around these parts if you are going to use deer or much else for bait in coyote HUNTING you better do it soon cause it will be gone in 2 nights. What the crows/ravens dont get the coyotes will-road kill or scraps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts