Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you put out salt/minerals you are a baiter too. I'll bet a lot of you, like me, have put it out illegally by putting it on the ground sometime other than Oct.1st-Jan 1st. Usually in the late winter or early spring. Now, with the baiting ban, are you still going to put it out ? If yes, will you establish many mineral site locations ? For many years now we have had around 40 sites because we didn't want a lot of deer coming to one location. The only down side to having many salt/mineral locations is that you don't get a ton of trail cam pictures from a single camera.

L & O

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
If you put out salt/minerals you are a baiter too. I'll bet a lot of you, like me, have put it out illegally by putting it on the ground sometime other than Oct.1st-Jan 1st. Usually in the late winter or early spring. Now, with the baiting ban, are you still going to put it out ? If yes, will you establish many mineral site locations ? For many years now we have had around 40 sites because we didn't want a lot of deer coming to one location. The only down side to having many salt/mineral locations is that you don't get a ton of trail cam pictures from a single camera.

L & O
Salt and minerals are considered bait.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salt and minerals are considered bait.
Yes, I think that most of us know that salt/minerals are considered bait.

A number of the products that are sold proudly proclaim that their product is less than 50% salt use a sweetener such as molasses or an apple product left over from the making of apple juice to lure the deer to the mineral site. Others are mixed with corn. Not much doubt that you are and have been a baiter when you use any of those products. Side note, I have never been against legal baiting.

My guess is that many people who have put out pure salt in the pass will continue to do so because most do not consider it baiting in the same sense as baitng with carrots, molasses, apple products or sugar beets.

L & O

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
When the bait ban was first announced,, I pulled out my crystal ball. Ya know what I saw,,,, Hank Parker with fist's full of cash and C'mere Deers' stock sky-rocketing... and the liquid concentrate just flying off the shelves.....:lol:

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
So if i have mineral blocks out now. Im SUPPOSED to drive up to my property, and pull them? Sorry but i will not being going back up there till oct. 1
If you have mineral blocks out you are breaking the law. It was already illegal to have mineral blocks out prior to Oct. 1st before the recent bait ban was enacted. If you don't want to make the long drive, I suggest you call your neighborhood CO, tell him the location and I'm betting he will be happy to go out to your property and take care of them for you. :lol:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
you can ask any C.O and they will tell you that they have been told that the baiting law will be strictly enforced. I don't see too many Verbal Warnings coming down the line on this. Lets just hope that we Michigan hunters and the folks who count on their livelihoods by selling bait will ride this one out. It will get ugly before it gets better.

ps. it does hurt when the sky hits you right between the eyes!!:help:

·
Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have mineral blocks out you are breaking the law. It was already illegal to have mineral blocks out prior to Oct. 1st before the recent bait ban was enacted. ........
Simply not true.

L & O

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
My guess is that many people who have put out pure salt in the pass will continue to do so because most do not consider it baiting in the same sense as baitng with carrots, molasses, apple products or sugar beets.

L & O
Then I guess you are saying that most people are hunting violators. :(Are you one of those people too that considers the same regardless of what the law states?:eek:

As far as butter21's statement, that doesn't suprise me from him.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you have mineral blocks out you are breaking the law. It was already illegal to have mineral blocks out prior to Oct. 1st before the recent bait ban was enacted. If you don't want to make the long drive, I suggest you call your neighborhood CO, tell him the location and I'm betting he will be happy to go out to your property and take care of them for you. :lol:
Not true, blocks placed out on Jan 1 were perfectly legal, even if they were hardly touched. I am not going to go to my legally established mineral licks and dig the dirt up and remove it. I, also, will not be adding more mineral until the baiting ban is lifted, if it ever is.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Not true, blocks placed out on Jan 1 were perfectly legal, even if they were hardly touched. I am not going to go to my legally established mineral licks and dig the dirt up and remove it. I, also, will not be adding more mineral until the baiting ban is lifted, if it ever is.

If you think you are legal, take a CO with you and show him your legal mineral sites:lol:

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
seems there will always be people that break or bend the baiting laws to fit there own agenda, then try to justify it.I honestly believe it applies for everything they do in life, not just hunting or fishing but everything. I went down to my local gun club the other day and was saying I stopped by my friends on the way there, the guys ask were does he live? I said right down the road in the white modular home. One of the guys says the one with the truck loads of stone piled up, I say yes, he says that stones been there for 2 months. I said he has alot of shovels and rakes in his garage maybe we should go down there and level it out. They all turn around and start talking about something else.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
seems there will always be people that break or bend the baiting laws to fit there own agenda, then try to justify it.I honestly believe it applies for everything they do in life, not just hunting or fishing but everything. I went down to my local gun club the other day and was saying I stopped by my friends on the way there, the guys ask were does he live? I said right down the road in the white modular home. One of the guys says the one with the truck loads of stone piled up, I say yes, he says that stones been there for 2 months. I said he has alot of shovels and rakes in his garage maybe we should go down there and level it out. They all turn around and start talking about something else.
That sounds about right, quick to point slow to help.

·
Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing like admitting you are guilty of breaking a law on a public forum!:lol::lol:
Yep, I'm a law breaker. I think most of us(but not you of course) break some laws. Driving on the expressway yesterday I set the cruise control for 72. I was breaking the law. Broke the law a lot before turning 21 by drinking alcohol.
I also break the law most mornings that I go hunting. I nock my arrow or load my gun after getting settled into my hunting location usually before legal hunting hours. My understanding is that you can not legally load your weapon before the hunting time arrives. Oh well.
How many people who own their own business break the law by not reporting 100% of their income ? 100% or close to it ?
Just remembered one more, I often don't come to a complete stop before turning right on red if the road is clear. I now realize that I really am a bad, bad person. I am surprised that I have never gotten a ticket or been charged with a crime.......just lucky I guess.

L & O

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I Respect you for that:)finally someone that that admits there human, now don;t talk about someone else for what they do:evilsmile you need to clean up the trash in your yard before you can talk about your neighbors;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yep, I'm a law breaker. I think most of us(but not you of course) break some laws. Driving on the expressway yesterday I set the cruise control for 72. I was breaking the law. Broke the law a lot before turning 21 by drinking alcohol.
I also break the law most mornings that I go hunting. I nock my arrow or load my gun after getting settled into my hunting location usually before legal hunting hours. My understanding is that you can not legally load your weapon before the hunting time arrives. Oh well.
How many people who own their own business break the law by not reporting 100% of their income ? 100% or close to it ?
Just remembered one more, I often don't come to a complete stop before turning right on red if the road is clear. I now realize that I really am a bad, bad person. I am surprised that I have never gotten a ticket or been charged with a crime.......just lucky I guess.

L & O

Just because you havent been caught doesn't mean you haven't broken the law. By your rationality I can hunt on your property without your permission until I get caught. Pretty sad.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

L & O
I was merely trying to say it's probably not a good idea to admit to breaking a hunting law in a hunting forum....no where did I say I was perfect (although pretty damned close:lol:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.