Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Baiting Already???

2K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  don 
#1 ·
When should one start dropping corn on a spot to get the deer running a specific area?? I have a friend who have probably 4 spots set up with auto spreaders filled with corn. He kinda has me thinking maybe I should get one on my spot. Any thoughts???

#3 ·
well if you want to be legal to start baiting specifically deer, you will have to wait until september or october(cant remember exact date, have to look in the rule book). . but we keep a corn feeder in the back yard year round to keep the deer and turkeys and rabbits and squirrels around. never hunted any of the animals here but it sure is fun to watch them! also give them a promised food source in the winter, spread some hay around and when the deer are dont eating a lot of times they sleep on it! pretty neat!

#7 ·
why bait? if you really want to get a trophy buck learn his pattern and you will have a lot better luck. baiting only brings in young bucks and does for the most part. and you say this is private land put in a food plot than hunt about 100 yards from it. the big boy will hang out till dark to come in

#13 ·
In my soil, the beets should be ready about late October. :D

#14 ·
I wish I had the land to do that with. I hunt a Farmers property. Can't really go in and plant food crops. I hunt the edge of a corn field with a nice watering hole. So the deer are there without putting corn down. I was just wondering because he was showing me the feeders the other day.

#15 ·
ckhanna said:
I wish I had the land to do that with. I hunt a Farmers property. Can't really go in and plant food crops. I hunt the edge of a corn field with a nice watering hole. So the deer are there without putting corn down. I was just wondering because he was showing me the feeders the other day.
Your friend is a violator. Maybe he doesn't realize that or maybe he doesn't care.

#18 ·
ckhanna said:
Well, you can bet that I am going to have him read this thread. This is exactly why I posed the question.
I respect you for doing that.

#19 ·
ckhanna said:
If you hunt a farm with a pond, you don't need a food plot. The farmers doing that for you. I'd put some mineral out there now just to establish deer travel routes. Then in fall (if you even need it) maybe throw out a little bait to keep them travelling that same route. Just remember, Big Boys won't walk on the trail, they'll skirt along it.

#22 ·
ckhanna said:
So if you have mineral or salt blocks out all summer that is ok???
Not really. People do it anyways but the only legal way to do it is towards the end of deer season when it is still legal to put out bait. If you put out a mineral block on December 31st you aren't required to pick it up on January 2nd.

BTW- forget the salt blocks they don't do much for the deer.

#24 ·
ckhanna said:
Hmm, Seems like a loop hole. I kinda wish the rules were enforced alittle better.
I don't consider it a loophole. The deer need the minerals that the blocks provide. They need them in the springtime and putting them out in December makes them available in the spring. Mineral blocks don't get much attention from deer during hunting season.

#26 ·
ckhanna said:
I used a salt block 2 years ago and was amazed at how fast deer were on to it. I may have to go with that one again this year.
Don't go with plain old salt blocks, use the mineral blocks so the deer get some benefit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.