Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my new casting rod for bobber fishing steel and salmon. Now I need a "good for the money" baitcasting reel; any recommendations? For now I'm using a cheap one I pulled off one of my bass rods. Thanks

·
Banned
13 Posts
I never done bobber fishing for steelhead but I has Garcia.Shamano and Diawa leval winds for plugging.All of the above are of grate quality but all of the above companies allso have enty leval reels

·
Super Moderator
38,412 Posts
Abus have the best drags of any baitcasters. Bar none. And they are lifetime reels at a very reasonable price. The Abu Record would be my choice, but the C-3 or C-4 have great drags for a few bucks less.

·
Super Moderator
38,412 Posts
Bang, Boozer posted after I typed and before I hit submit because I answered the phone..So "What Boozer said" :)

·
Super Moderator
38,412 Posts
As far as baitcasters go, if it doesn't say Shimano on it, it doesn't go on one of my rods, period.
Shimanos? That would be my last choice. Limp wristed drags on them. Weak drive gears. Other than that they are OK. LOL Abu and Daiwa both have better made drivetrains and smoother and at the same time more powerful drags on them. Shimano is the inferior "Me too" brand for those who buy into the hype. They are the Dodge Ram of the reel world. How many 15 year old rams do you see around? Not many eh? Wearing out Shimanoes isn't a badge of honor because you fish so much, it's a badge of disgrace for spending your hard earned money on inferior products. Spinning or baitcasting , I never had any Shimano built past the early 90's last more than two years.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Shimanos? That would be my last choice. Limp wristed drags on them. Weak drive gears. Other than that they are OK. LOL Abu and Daiwa both have better made drivetrains and smoother and at the same time more powerful drags on them. Shimano is the inferior "Me too" brand for those who buy into the hype. They are the Dodge Ram of the reel world. How many 15 year old rams do you see around? Not many eh? Wearing out Shimanoes isn't a badge of honor because you fish so much, it's a badge of disgrace for spending your hard earned money on inferior products. Spinning or baitcasting , I never had any Shimano built past the early 90's last more than two years.
Second that...

·
Banned
13 Posts
I do not no where you guys are baseing your opiniones on about Shamino reels.The Shamion reels either casting or spining are far more superiur to all others.One example to the others is the no fail bail of the spining reels to compairison to others,anyone that has used a Shamino spining will atest to this.As far as drags Shamino drags are = to others butt if the facts were to be known drags are no a big issue when fished here in Michigan except for salmon and big cats or maybee carp.Most steelheads will come to the boat without pulling drag when the reel is matchup with the proper action rods:lol:

·
Registered
10,700 Posts
Most steelheads will come to the boat without pulling drag when the reel is matchup with the proper action rods
How many above average steelhead have you landed bobber fishing? lol. Most 5 lbers will pull drag while bobber fishing. It isn't plugging, you don't use 20 lb braid when bobber fishing. ;) I've had salmon that haven't pulled drag, but that is because I just cable up and don't mind blowing up a couple $40 rods a fall especially fishing the junk. :lol: I've noticed if you just try to crank in a fresh, strong steelhead without giving drag you pull more hooks than if you let him have a bit...

·
Banned
13 Posts
Most steelheads will come to the boat without pulling drag when the reel is matchup with the proper action rods
How many above average steelhead have you landed bobber fishing? lol. Most 5 lbers will pull drag while bobber fishing. It isn't plugging, you don't use 20 lb braid when bobber fishing. ;) I've had salmon that haven't pulled drag, but that is because I just cable up and don't mind blowing up a couple $40 rods a fall especially fishing the junk. :lol: I've noticed if you just try to crank in a fresh, strong steelhead without giving drag you pull more hooks than if you let him have a bit...
I will apoiigize about the bobber fishing thing as I never ever done it.I have allways consitered bobber fishing as being a wrong and improper but I have been thinking about trying it out as more pulls could be a result from this style of fishing.I am a plugger and Ive never needed drag for fish to 10 pound and evin over.Below i pictered a 10 pounder that failed to pull drag and the reel is very old Garcia 5500D,when you hold the handle he winds with direct drive,when you let go of the handle he will releace drag and the handle turns backwards.This is not a Shamino but it is in the same catagory as my other reels used for plugging.

By the way if I am going to start bobber fishing will be useing a Shamino spining reel over a leval wind anyways.I feel this is proper setup for plugging but with no braided line used,17 pound mono is what i use on plugging rods,the rods have very soft action and are long to take up shock,I wind in the fish with no drag letout at all

·
Super Moderator
38,412 Posts
I do not no where you guys are baseing your opiniones on about Shamino reels.The Shamion reels either casting or spining are far more superiur to all others.s:lol:

Says the man who then posts a picture of a steelhead, and a rod with an ABU GARCIA reel on it.:lol:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I set my plug reels drags at about two pounds, and I can count the number of times in twenty years of plug fishing that fish have taken line on the take, by the time the rod loads up it ads a substantial amount of resistance to the drag... in the 10 - 15 pound range. I use shimano reels for chalk lines, flying kites,training puppies, etc. :lol:. Finer Bait cast models are great bobber reels.

·
Super Moderator
38,412 Posts
I use shimano reels for chalk lines, flying kites,training puppies, etc. :lol:.
OMG that is GREAT!!!:lol::lol::lol:

No matter how pathetically true, it is still funny. I think people are beginning to figure out Shimano isn't what they have been led to believe by the "me too" masses.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Next time i will show pictures with Shamino reels and fish.I been useing Shimano with grate results for many years.I seldom buy entry leval modells though

·
Registered
10,700 Posts
G.R.R...what? You consider bobber fishing wrong and not appropriate, but plugging is ok? That is a stance I've never heard of, interesting though....I guess. Most people I know that plug are also familiar with bait fishing...just a strange stance I guess.
Baitcasters can be very effective for bait fishing...especially bobbers...just like a pin but you have a drag and casting is easier (yeah I know some pins have drags). It is a bit more versitile though as you can still throw hardware, bottom bounce, walk etc.

I've been thinking about getting a baitcaster for salmon, but still debating on buying a pin too....I wish I was rich enough to get quality in both.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.