Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Daiwa is notorious for under lubricating, I've had to go through every one of mine. My Millionaires were especially great once finished up, the smoothest reels I own by a long shot and they don't even have micro gearing in them like the Calcutta Conquests. Shimano does it right. Abu on the other hand, I think those guys were slinging plaster at one time because they way overdo it.

What I do;
TSI 321 in the spool bearings
90W gear oil on the worm gear, support bearings, and sliding parts
Super Lube PTFE on the gears
Cal's Purple on the drag

You're welcome. If you wanted to throw a straight 1/16, you'd need a different reel altogether. That's bait finesse territory.
Do they make a BFS spool for the Daiwa Fuego Ct? If so, does the spool have enough line capacity (using mono) for steelhead fishing?
I would like to try using the BFS set up this spring, when the steelhead are in the feeder creeks in Ohio. Sometimes it is tough to cast a spinning reel with limited space at times.
I like to float fish in the Spring, so what type of rods would go well with the Daiwa Fuego if they do have a BFS spool. Thank You!

Do they make a BFS spool for the Daiwa Fuego Ct? If so, does the spool have enough line capacity (using mono) for steelhead fishing?
I would like to try using the BFS set up this spring, when the steelhead are in the feeder creeks in Ohio. Sometimes it is tough to cast a spinning reel with limited space at times.
I like to float fish in the Spring, so what type of rods would go well with the Daiwa Fuego if they do have a BFS spool. Thank You!
Float fishing is not something that goes well with BFS, you really want a deeper spool if you're planning on running mono. Most BFS spools hold no more than 50yd of 6lb mono. Typically with BFS, you're running thin braid, I run 6lb Berkley X9, which actually breaks at 17lb using the more accurate denier rating instead of the arbitrary measurements put forth by American market lines. It's of a similar diameter to 2lb mono, and I would run either a 6lb or 8lb mono leader. With BFS, you're going to be throwing hardware in the 1/16 to 3/8 range. For a rod, you will want something under 7' rated either L or ML. A shorter rod is better in this case since you're looking for pinpoint accuracy to land your bait under undercut banks or overgrowth covering the banks. You're fishing spots the broomstick and eggbeater bunch can't touch with their unwieldy get-up. It's meant for fishing with precision, a scalpel under disguise as a rod and reel. If running a L power, you will want something with a fast tip, if ML something more of a moderate fast would be best. These rods will be rated in the 2g to 10g or 3g to 12g range respectively. Those rods are designed for thin braid but mono can be run if you'd like. In that case, you aren't going more than 6lb on a L power or 8lb on a ML.

BFS is a popular steelhead tactic in Japan where the fish are native and increasingly in California. It's also used for coho as well as cherry salmon and stream trout. BFS is a very technical form of fishing many here aren't familiar with. You seriously need to know how to set a drag and learn your equipment. Get a spring scale and set it to 1/4 to 1/3 the strength of your leader. You'd be surprised at how much 2lb of drag really is.

Float fishing is not something that goes well with BFS, you really want a deeper spool if you're planning on running mono. Most BFS spools hold no more than 50yd of 6lb mono. Typically with BFS, you're running thin braid, I run 6lb Berkley X9, which actually breaks at 17lb using the more accurate denier rating instead of the arbitrary measurements put forth by American market lines. It's of a similar diameter to 2lb mono, and I would run either a 6lb or 8lb mono leader. With BFS, you're going to be throwing hardware in the 1/16 to 3/8 range. For a rod, you will want something under 7' rated either L or ML. A shorter rod is better in this case since you're looking for pinpoint accuracy to land your bait under undercut banks or overgrowth covering the banks. You're fishing spots the broomstick and eggbeater bunch can't touch with their unwieldy get-up. It's meant for fishing with precision, a scalpel under disguise as a rod and reel. If running a L power, you will want something with a fast tip, if ML something more of a moderate fast would be best. These rods will be rated in the 2g to 10g or 3g to 12g range respectively. Those rods are designed for thin braid but mono can be run if you'd like. In that case, you aren't going more than 6lb on a L power or 8lb on a ML.

BFS is a popular steelhead tactic in Japan where the fish are native and increasingly in California. It's also used for coho as well as cherry salmon and stream trout. BFS is a very technical form of fishing many here aren't familiar with. You seriously need to know how to set a drag and learn your equipment. Get a spring scale and set it to 1/4 to 1/3 the strength of your leader. You'd be surprised at how much 2lb of drag really is.
Thank You for the information, especially about needing a deeper spool for float fishing with mono.
I will use my Daiwa Coastal SV TW 150 for float fishing larger and medium rivers and my Daiwa SS tournament 1300.
Have you ever used the Daiwa SS tournament 700 for steelhead in smaller streams?
For right now, before investing in any BFS reels/rods, I will use my spinning reel for the feeder creeks but might get a shorter rod. Right now , I am using a 9-foot rod.
Fish USA has an article on BFS fishing, and two of the Reels they recommend are the Daiwa Tatula sv tw 70 and the Daiwa TW 80, which both have more line capacity. What do you think of those two reels?
Thanks for your help!

The Tatula 70 and 80 aren't really BFS, mostly because the spools are heavy. The only US market BFS reel is the Curado BFS at this time, and it's a really good reel considering it's cheaper than most any of the others you'd have to buy from Japan. If you really want something from Daiwa, go on Digitaka and look at the Daiwa Alphas Air TW, it's probably the best all around at the moment. There's also the Shimano SLX BFS, which is the Japanese market Curado BFS, just in a different color scheme. It's also much cheaper due to the excellent exchange rate at the moment.

I buy from Japan all the time, they're really good and you'll get your stuff much faster than you would ordering domestically.

The Tatula 70 and 80 aren't really BFS, mostly because the spools are heavy. The only US market BFS reel is the Curado BFS at this time, and it's a really good reel considering it's cheaper than most any of the others you'd have to buy from Japan. If you really want something from Daiwa, go on Digitaka and look at the Daiwa Alphas Air TW, it's probably the best all around at the moment. There's also the Shimano SLX BFS, which is the Japanese market Curado BFS, just in a different color scheme. It's also much cheaper due to the excellent exchange rate at the moment.

I buy from Japan all the time, they're really good and you'll get your stuff much faster than you would ordering domestically.
Thank You for information! I appreciate it.

Daiwa is notorious for under lubricating, I've had to go through every one of mine. My Millionaires were especially great once finished up, the smoothest reels I own by a long shot and they don't even have micro gearing in them like the Calcutta Conquests. Shimano does it right. Abu on the other hand, I think those guys were slinging plaster at one time because they way overdo it.

What I do;
TSI 321 in the spool bearings
90W gear oil on the worm gear, support bearings, and sliding parts
Super Lube PTFE on the gears
Cal's Purple on the drag
So I have to buy 4 kinds of lube for my Tatula? :shocked: Actually I have gear oil lying around. Once I have all that in hand, is it easy enough to do?

So I have to buy 4 kinds of lube for my Tatula? :shocked: Actually I have gear oil lying around. Once I have all that in hand, is it easy enough to do?
You don't have to use that many, I do to get a certain feel I'm looking for. If you get some Cal's Purple and some TSI 321 that'll cover everything.

I just ordered the DIY long cast spool from aliexpress. for my Daiwa Fuego CT.
Do I need any additional parts when putting in the new spool?
Thank You!
Flush the spool bearings in acetone and give them a drop of some light oil. There Is one is in the palm side plate and the other in the crank side plate. An oil that's readily available is sewing machine oil from the craft store.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Been using Cal's purple for gears and gun oil for bearings and been pretty happy with how it's been working for me. Did use hot sauce for a while but didn't like how the red stains everything.

That hot sauce is a pain to deal with. Thankfully you didn't use the grease, it straight up dyes brass and plastic and is beyond difficult to remove. I've had quite a few come into the shop and I die inside a little bit once I see it.

Flush the spool bearings in acetone and give them a drop of some light oil. There Is one is in the palm side plate and the other in the crank side plate. An oil that's readily available is sewing machine oil from the craft store.
I noticed on Aliexpress they have some Daiwa Fuego CT SV baitcasters without the t-wing.
What are your thoughts about this model?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.