Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a website on here with all MI baitshops.. Anyone have that? I'd like to try some wigglers or spikes this year, but the only nearby baitshop(that i know of) sells mousies & waxworms.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We probably wouldnt be able to make that trip just for bait very often.. How long would wigglers & spikes last in the fridge? Does anyone ever go to Stowe's Cove in Fenton?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Thats pretty bad that there isn't a quality bait shop in the Fenton area with all those lakes around. Sorry I can't think of anything close to you. Bob's bait and tackle on Fenton Rd. in Flint might be an option for you. Not sure of their selection though. Browns Do-It in Goodrich has bait and there was another party store in Goodrich.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Stow's Cove 11121 N. Fenton Rd. Wigglers there, I don't think so. You might give them a call. As far as Bobs bait shop, The last time I was there I ask him where is the bait. He should take the bait sign down and put up a taxidermy sign. You can keep wiggle but it's a lot of work (change water often, keep cold-not to cold.) I don't know if Gander here in Flint has them or not, might give them a call. The "bait shop" on Carpenter road told me the last time I was there he was going to carry them,( Scotty goes there a lot maybe he knows).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Spikes are not a problem to keep just put them in the fridge, keep your wigglers there too but you must change the water daily or their own waste will kill them. Just make sure you use well water, clorine will kill them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
scottyhoover...there are a couple of party stores that sell bait in the Linden/Argentine area. One is on Bennet Lake Rd. and they have minnows and wax worms and a small ice fishing section. They other one is on Center Rd. just off of the exit. I think it is called Woodys. I think they still have minnows but I could be wrong. Those are the only two I know of in the area. Hope this helps. Did I read somewhere that you were entered in the Trap Attack? If so, have you done it before? I just signed up the other day and I was wondering what the atmsosphere was like(pretty laid back or super competitive).

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Usually buy my bait around the Fenton area at Stowe's Cove on Lake Copenconic, they used to carry wigglers but they didn' have 'em last year.

The Marina on Lobdell sells bait but last year they were closed all winter. :confused:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
fish24/7 said:
scottyhoover...there are a couple of party stores that sell bait in the Linden/Argentine area. One is on Bennet Lake Rd. and they have minnows and wax worms and a small ice fishing section. They other one is on Center Rd. just off of the exit. I think it is called Woodys. I think they still have minnows but I could be wrong. Those are the only two I know of in the area. Hope this helps. Did I read somewhere that you were entered in the Trap Attack? If so, have you done it before? I just signed up the other day and I was wondering what the atmsosphere was like(pretty laid back or super competitive).

Thanks,
Eric
:yeahthat: On the party store on Bennet Rd. and the one off center Rd. I got wax wormes at both stores last year. They both had minnows also but one time they were both out of minnows. I think they have the same minnow dealer and he was out.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
RichP said:
It's a sticky in the Sound Off forum:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84703

https://home.comcast.net/~labrunson/michiganbaitshops.htm

I don't know how far of a drive it would be from Holly (15-20 miles?) but if you can't find any place closer, Holden Party Store just outside Kensington MP usually has wigglers.
Holdens hasn't had wigglers in at least 3 years. I used to call out there to see, and the guy would say, "nope, not yet but we should get our shipment by the end of the week". They'd give me that routine all year long, until I'd finally call 'em out on it and say listen,, ARE YOU GETTING THEM OR NOT< GOOFBALL, I"M SICK OF CALLING OUT HERE? Then the guy would say, "no we're not gettin' em, they die to quick, for us to sell em here". The same guy has done that, the last 3 years in a row. My vote goes to Bill at the Bottom Line in Gibraltor, nice guy, nice prices, I actually drive 60 miles outta my way to go there.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
William H Bonney said:
Holdens hasn't had wigglers in at least 3 years. I used to call out there to see, and the guy would say, "nope, not yet but we should get our shipment by the end of the week". They'd give me that routine all year long, until I'd finally call 'em out on it and say listen,, ARE YOU GETTING THEM OR NOT< GOOFBALL, I"M SICK OF CALLING OUT HERE? Then the guy would say, "no we're not gettin' em, they die to quick, for us to sell em here". The same guy has done that, the last 3 years in a row. My vote goes to Bill at the Bottom Line in Gibraltor, nice guy, nice prices, I actually drive 60 miles outta my way to go there.
Well, I don't know about 2 or 3 years ago, but Holden's most definitely carried wigglers last season. I purchased them at least 3 times last season in late January immediately prior to fishing Kent Lake. I think some clerk either gave you bad info or they made that decision after January. They kept them on the bottom shelf of the fridge behind the bait/tackle counter.

I agree about Bill at Bottom Line. He's a character and usually has a good story or too.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I don't think they were in very good shape. Then again, when you get the little guys in those small cups it's a chore just to keep them from freezing up. The only thing I've ever had luck with wigglers was perch. I had just read an article in an ice fishing magazine that the guys who were catching the biggest bluegills at the latest trap attack tournament were using wigglers so I thought I'd give it a few tries.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Fish 24/7: The top prize for a super trap attack is $10,000. This you split with your partner. I would say a trap attack is no more compeitive than a big bass tournament!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts