Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Bait shops near lake missaukee

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Scout 2 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ll be spending all next week up on lake missaukee. I was wondering if there are any good bait shops nearby. If not I plan on running down to pilgrims in Cadillac. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

#2 ·
There used to be one in the gas station (Marathon?) on the north end of town just past where M-55 goes towards Houghton Lake. Right next to the Coffee Cup restaurant which used to have a killer omelet. They called it the porker. Been probably 5 years since I've been that way so not sure if either are still open.

#6 ·
I forget where I got bait around there... but last I fished missaukee was before they poisoned the weeds. I drifted with a chunk of crawler under a bobber until I found some nice panfish. Big gills and huge rock bass. A few medium size largemouth too.

If I were fishing it blind again today I'd probably do something similar. Or at least get some info from the nearest place that sells bait or fishing licenses. Heck maybe even spend a few min at the boat launch in the morning and talk to those going out. Or later in the day and talk to those coming in.

#13 ·
I’m mostly excited to not fish the bay. Lol. Those walleye get old after a while. Hoping for a good fresh panfish and pike fry while we are up there. If all else fails we will just run to houghton and get some gills.

First few times I fished missaukee it was exciting. Lots of fish, many of them were plenty big enough for eating. Easy to catch.

#14 ·
First few times I fished missaukee it was exciting. Lots of fish, many of them were plenty big enough for eating. Easy to catch.
Then came the weed killer.. This morning there were several boats sitting in the reas I mentoned earler, We went thru town this evening and there were what looked like t h esame boats in t hese areas again pls ff Green Road in t he area where ice fish. Good Luck and staysafe

#9 ·
Not a lot of people fish it like they did when Millers had the bait shop there. There is a landing off Green Road now and it looks nice. The landing in the city park you need a park pass to use it unless they changed things. They have been fishing it on the sumerged island straight out from the swimbeach just of M 55 on the south edge of town. One evening we went thru there and ther were a bunch of boats just off the duck behind the city offices. Last week they were fishing the gravel barhaldf way across the lake from the city offices. I do npt know if they were catching anything or not. Take a lot of bait as t he lake is full of 3 inch long perch from what I have heard. 2 weeks ago they were catching fish on Fife Lake in the hole to the east of the island. Good Luck and have fun

#11 ·
Not a lot of people fish it like they did when Millers had the bait shop there. There is a landing off Green Road now and it looks nice. The landing in the city park you need a park pass to use it unless they changed things. They have been fishing it on the sumerged island straight out from the swimbeach just of M 55 on the south edge of town. One evening we went thru there and ther were a bunch of boats just off the duck behind the city offices. Last week they were fishing the gravel barhaldf way across the lake from the city offices. I do npt know if they were catching anything or not. Take a lot of bait as t he lake is full of 3 inch long perch from what I have heard. 2 weeks ago they were catching fish on Fife Lake in the hole to the east of the island. Good Luck and have fun
We’ve got a house rented for the week on the water so the boat will be docked there. Thank you for the info. I’ll be sure to check those areas out and give a good report if I find anything worth reporting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.