Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wonder what the farmers are doing with all the "leftover" bait? I drove by one of the biggest carrot producers in the state today, they are dumping carrots by the truckload in the fields. This area is loaded with deer. Seems to me they should be burying it. I'll be making a call to the dnr tomorrow.:confused:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
YEAH they have not suffered enough!!!! DON'T see much difference in that then corn farmers leaving corn in the fields........so now on top of them loosing substantial amounts of income they should pay someone to come in and dig holes on there property to dispose of the product!!!!!!
GIMME A BREAK!
tjsebb

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think that you could hunt those fields. It would be the normal practic of Farming. Even though they used to sell that product. Now they have to dump it. So I think that you could hunt the field.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give you a break!! For all of you that claim to be so concerned with the health of the heard...this is concentrated feeding on a large scale. You can't have it both ways! I don't care who pays for it, I have learned on here that this is not good for the deer.:dizzy:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Justin:

You are correct that this is large scale feeding, but the farmers are paying a price for this ban. If you look at several of my post you will see that I tryed to find a way that we could have a safe way to bait. And while I am concerned about the health of the herd, I am also concerned with the hunting community. See "is anyone bothered by the fighting. And I am concerned about the health of the farming community as well. Sometime I just think that we get carried away. I hope that this pile of carrots will not spread CWD. But if you think about it is in only one area. If he sold them they would be concentrating deer in many areas. However if it bothers you that much. You could go and offer to pay to have them burried. I am sure that if it did not cost the farmer anything he would not mind.

·
Registered
15,401 Posts
Oh boy! Everybody with a cell phone wants to be a %$% hero.:dizzy: You know that is someones livelihood being dumped on the ground. Do you understand the hardships these FAMILIES will be experiencing. Nothing like adding salt to the wound eh.:(:(:(

I,m just as happy as the nexy guy with a baiting ban, but some of you people need to chill.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim, I have read most if not all of your posts, and I agree with you on most. I do not want the farmers to have to pay to dispose of the carrots either. My post was slightly sarcastic, sorry if that didn't show. These farmers have been doing this for years, I don't care. What I do find kind of funny though is that if I dump two gallons of carrots across the street on state land, I'm spreading cwd. By the way, these farms are only a mile or two from the hot zone.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'll give you a break!! For all of you that claim to be so concerned with the health of the heard...this is concentrated feeding on a large scale. You can't have it both ways! I don't care who pays for it, I have learned on here that this is not good for the deer.:dizzy:
SORRY bud but you have me confused with someone else......i am against the baiting ban...IF and WHEN they ever find CWD in the free herd then i may support it.....

AS for the best thing for our herd WELL i believe at this point the best thing for the herd is to cut it in half...........SHOT OURSELVES in foot with whole bait ban didnt we? numbers will rise and next thing you know your auto insurance will rise and then everyone for the ban will see that the grass was'nt greener on there side of the fence.....

see ya'll in the sound off forum:hide:
tjstebb

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
they shoulda had a backup plan for the carrots :) it wa sin writing 6 years ago that this would happen if CWD was found anywhere in the state. . guess its just blind faith. . or ignorance. . either way. . :):)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a feeling I hunt the very same fields you are talking about. If so, I can tell you with certainty those fields will be chisel plowed/fumigated and planted in winter wheat before you know it.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
yeah, it was in the cwd plan from six years ago just like all there population maps and deer densities maps, everything out dated and makes no sence. Our tax dollars hard at work.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
You guys got it all wrong. They are just 'seeding' the field for next year is all.:evilsmile

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
yeah, it was in the cwd plan from six years ago just like all there population maps and deer densities maps, everything out dated and makes no sence. Our tax dollars hard at work.
Even if it was'nt out of date the problem is this plan was made with good intention BUT it was made to be put in place if a deer was found in the free ranging herd! This was a pen deer people, never was a free ranging deer, AND ZILCH NOTTA NO MORE deer on the farm had CWD......
tjstebb

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
id be curious to see where in the order it stated deer must be found in the wild herd. . and just because its only one issue means nothing granted I do agree the deer was in a pen and none of the others in there were positive, but IMO they should still have the baiting ban in kent county.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts