Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the do it yourself guys, what are you baiting with and how often are you going to check baits?

i am planning on bait sites that will be 40+ miles from my home and and 40 miles apart from there. i have two spots with solid recent bear activity.

luckily one is on private land so i will be able to run a much larger bait with out worring about other people around it. the other will probably be public unless i can score some permission in the area.

so for those us that will be running ragged and wearing tires off, how may days a week do you plan to check your stations? i am hoping to nail something good on camera and then just running 1 or 2 baits. early on i figure every three days as i cant afford $50 in gas a trip more than that. once actual season draws near i plan to try to make it as many days in row as possible.

bait- will probably be running oats and syrup, maybe some meat scraps and some artifical sents when i first set up to draw them to the bait.

my biggest question is how much is too much bait out at one time??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bait as often as you can afford and put as much bait out as the bears will eat between rebaits. There is no reason to limit the amount of bait early in the baiting season if the bears are eating it. When you get several bears coming into your bait every day they will clean out 10 gallons of bait so fast its insane, it can literally be a couple hours. Some will tell you that if there is a limited amount of bait the bears will compete for the bait so as to justify them putting a half gallon of bait out every couple days. While this is true with the competition, it is only something that you should do right before season begins. Doing this early in the baiting season is how you lose bears at a bait site. If there is no food they will move on. Bait with as much sweets as you can. If you are hunting the Yoop the meat scraps will attract wolves, but it gets the bears too I suppose. The sweeter the better. Liberally applying the artificial scents every rebait trip to advertise that there is fresh food is a huge boost to getting bears in. Finally oats and syrup//molasses work good in the early season, but once acorns drop switching to a trail mix or nuts is the only way to go. Bear bait distributers sell them in bulk for cheap. In the Yoop these guys always have some in stock http://www.bigwoodsbearbait.com/. I've got 3 3rd season UP bears in as many consecutive years to my name so I've picked up a couple tricks. What you put into bear hunting directly effects what you get out.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bait as often as you can afford and put as much bait out as the bears will eat between rebaits. There is no reason to limit the amount of bait early in the baiting season if the bears are eating it. When you get several bears coming into your bait every day they will clean out 10 gallons of bait so fast its insane, it can literally be a couple hours. Some will tell you that if there is a limited amount of bait the bears will compete for the bait so as to justify them putting a half gallon of bait out every couple days. While this is true with the competition, it is only something that you should do right before season begins. Doing this early in the baiting season is how you lose bears at a bait site. If there is no food they will move on. Bait with as much sweets as you can. If you are hunting the Yoop the meat scraps will attract wolves, but it gets the bears too I suppose. The sweeter the better. Liberally applying the artificial scents every rebait trip to advertise that there is fresh food is a huge boost to getting bears in. Finally oats and syrup//molasses work good in the early season, but once acorns drop switching to a trail mix or nuts is the only way to go. Bear bait distributers sell them in bulk for cheap. In the Yoop these guys always have some in stock http://www.bigwoodsbearbait.com/. I've got 3 3rd season UP bears in as many consecutive years to my name so I've picked up a couple tricks. What you put into bear hunting directly effects what you get out.
good stuff, im hunting the Baldwin unit, so wolves are out of the question. may have multiple bears in some ares where i will bait but i think for the most part it will be single bear down here as i will be in the southern part of the zone

·
Registered
587 Posts
Have you ever tried baiting with acorns if so did u coat them with anything?
And i would suppose u would have to stick to the 2 gallon rule correct?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you ever tried baiting with acorns if so did u coat them with anything?
And i would suppose u would have to stick to the 2 gallon rule correct?
I haven't tried to bait with acorns directly. I always try to set up my bait sites where acorns are nearby because bears will be there if a couple other habitat requirements are met. I would definitely try to sweeten them up if I used them though.

From the 2015 MI Bear Digest regarding the "two gallon rule"

"From the start of the legal bear baiting period through the end of bear hunting season, bear hunters may use up to two gallons of grains per bait station, provided the bait is made inaccessible to deer and elk. It is illegal to use grains in counties closed to deer and elk feeding and deer baiting (currently Deer Management Unit 487 in the northeastern Lower Peninsula). Up to two gallons per bait station of all other materials including fruits, vegetables, salt and minerals, may be used starting Sept. 15 except in those counties closed to deer baiting (currently Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Oscoda Counties). Bear hunters using grains, fruits, vegetables, salt and minerals beginning Sept. 15, must comply with all other deer and elk feeding and deer baiting regulations for the area and time in which they are baiting bear."

Acorns are a nut, not a grain, so the two gallon rule would apply not to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts