Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is the skam fishing really, really slow right now in the tribs? After last years banner run, this is a real disappointment. Granted, I fish for strays, and that is always variable, but it's almost non-existent this summer. I've landed 3, and only hooked 4 all season. Already thinking about bailing and going back to walleyes for the summer.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
it's been poor all over. Indiana's run is almost non-existent at this point, there's been some decent pier action in Indiana and in St Joe, but the river run is poor so far

size is down too

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
That is the same thing I have been hearing from guy's fishing the big river. A few skams here and there but I haven't been fishing so I can only go by what I am hearing .Also they are hardly catching any Kings on the big lake . There have only been a few early run kings being spotted in a different river.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's been poor all over. Indiana's run is almost non-existent at this point, there's been some decent pier action in Indiana and in St Joe, but the river run is poor so far

size is down too
I thought size seemed good. Two of the 3 I landed were 31"...not too bad. I've heard about the piers being decent at times. Guess the warm weather and low flow got to them early.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Is it just me, or is the skam fishing really, really slow right now in the tribs? After last years banner run, this is a real disappointment. Granted, I fish for strays, and that is always variable, but it's almost non-existent this summer. I've landed 3, and only hooked 4 all season. Already thinking about bailing and going back to walleyes for the summer.
going by your posts over the years, i would imagine if you arent catching them than not too many people are.

·
Banned
267 Posts
I don't fish skams hardly at all due to leaving on the east side but I have buddies west that are pretty well known big fish guys and from what they told me they have been struggling as well

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Skam.s don't usually head for the rivers until it is good and hot out. Try your luck this week it might improve. All fish species have their ups and downs and this may be the down year. If you try spawn in the deep runs you might get a king or a skamania now. It has been a few years but I used to get some nice August kings in the AuSable

·
Registered
888 Posts
When the lake flipped about 3 weeks ago, Grand Haven was FIRE for about 10-12 days off the pier. Not sure if it was skams or regular steel chasing bait but the fishing was pretty crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts