Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have fished vets 4 days in the last week, out of sunset Saturday and have brought home 2 keepers to show.. Good thing I love the hunt or I'd be losing hope. Anyone else been in the same boat? This morning I sat in holes my buddy has pulled 2 limits out of and got one dink in 3 hours.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tried spoons do jiggers raps in all colors and sizes I own, puppet minnows dead sticks and jigs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
wednesday into thursday the barometric pressure drops dramiticaly....if you are one of those people that believe in barometric pressure like i do i hope the fish get active during this time. good luck guys.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Last year whether out of Thomas, Sunset, Bay City, or Linwood it was limits. This year so far: Sunset or Thomas, shallow or deep, morning or evening, I only have 1 take home with around 5 lost. The good news, it's is early in the season and lots of time for things to even out! Never give up, it beats working and thats why its called fishing. If it was easy, everyone would do it and we'd have alot of morons to deal with. Stay safe!!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I'm glad I'm not the only one.. I talked to two guys on the way in that had only got 2 shorts as well..

Are you marking fish?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I just got my Ice pack for my Hds 5 I'm just now getting setup for ice.. Gotta run to Franks Thursday for the adapter.. I've had plenty of times where my deadstick minnow would start freaking out and I would get a bump here or there but I haven't had a finder hoping by Thurs afternoon Ill have a good one running

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
If I fish during midday, I expext to mark fish not necessarily catch them. But if I dont get mark or marks, I ususlly move after 20 minutes. Somedays I sit tight and dont scout because simply weather sucks, and moving takes time with a group. But if your mobil its a great way to scout and then sit over fish for the best hour of last light. I dont know how to avoid shorts in the river.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I could have moved around today, but I went to holes my buddy got 4 good ones out of yesterday.. same exact holes I started with gold black which is what he did best on then after awhile started throwing everything.. when I only have a couple hours and get there right before daylight I wanna get setup and rolling for a good hour then next thing you know its been 2 and you have to leave in a hour.. so do I spend half hour moving and cutting holes to fish 20-30 minutes or stick it out.. Sunday I fished noon to 6:30 when I went out there was 2 shanties between 4-5pm probably 20 people drilled holes withing 100 yards of where I setup.. One guy was literally 15 feet away right at prime time then ended up getting 2 before I left when we got 0 in 6 hours lol..

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
welcome to the river in mid-winter....same every year...generally sucks. Get a fish or 2 every now and then. Then there's that select group that claims to hammer them in the river non-stop...but that's the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
my buddy doesn't lie about his fish.. seen pics.. I guess maybe its just slow for everyone, im not out on sketch us so my seasons shorter than most I guess too, also worth noting its my first year ice fishing

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
welcome to the river in mid-winter....same every year...generally sucks. Get a fish or 2 every now and then. Then there's that select group that claims to hammer them in the river non-stop...but that's the exception to the rule.
yup this. I have been on 3 trips to the river and have caught over 100 shorts at least with only 2 keepers to show for it. C'mon on March!!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Sometimes it's best to do your own thing. Use baits your confident in and fish. Keep moving until you find them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Fished the river 3 times with nothing but shorts. Fished the bay 2 times with 2 keepers to show for it. Think I'm gonna stick with the bay for a while yet. Good luck in finding fish. Btw I was 3 miles out of sunset when I got my keepers.

·
Premium Member
29,587 Posts
Stick with it on the bay Rob, you'll nail em sooner or later. The one you got with Gary last sat. was a nice one:) Myself along with others never got 1.:lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
i looked up last years posts on this forum with keyword "river" and it was the same deal last year if you look at the posts.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I would like to Ralph but I haven't been able to get my quad running yet and I'm dragging my feet buying a sled because by the time I do the ice will be gone.. I'm gonna fish Thursday Friday mornings then Sunday evening

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
These guys are right...but some days it's not your day..lol last year went out of lin wood and moved every half hour and fished almost all day marked a few here and there but only ended up with one keeper. Two trips before we were on the fish....contour maps are a huge help narrows your search a bit..

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
Rob get the quad running if ya can and ride out with us this weekend ,will help anyway we can ;) if i have to drop momma off and come back in for ya i will..

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK I'll be in touch spankin, I'm finally gonna give it a rest and work on the quad tomorrow.. Ran great when parked 5 years ago.. Has a small oil leak and rotted gas lines I think >.<

1 - 20 of 23 Posts