Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Had one like that living on my place for three years. Always gave her a free pass just to see how long she would be around. Always had fawns. Saw her very regularly. Seemed very normal. Tough critters.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I have watched them over the years that were missing either a front or back leg and one was here for three or four years. She was missing a hind leg but had two fawns every year. We did feed her every winter.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Could be anything. Most likely a joint injury from doing deer things and it fell off over time. We have a buck we have been watching for 4 years that had an injury and last year the leg fell off at the joint.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be anything. Most likely a joint injury from doing deer things and it fell off over time. We have a buck we have been watching for 4 years that had an injury and last year the leg fell off at the joint.
I was thinking it would take a compound fracture or getting caught on a fence, something to break the skin, wouldn't have thought of that.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I was thinking it would take a compound fracture or getting caught on a fence, something to break the skin, wouldn't have thought of that.
I think over time they will atrophy away as blood flow decreases. I have tons of pictures of this buck. In 2016, 2017 and most of 2018 he had his leg tucked and it kept getting smaller. By October 2018 it was dangling down and gone in Dec 2018.
11060125.JPG
10270763.JPG

10270332.JPG
PICT0146.JPG
Screenshot_20191221-191331_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
346 Posts
We had a doe years ago that only had three legs. She was such a good breeder she was off limits to shoot. I don't remember how old she was or remember how many years she was on our cameras but think she died of natural causes.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I shot a doe several years ago that had fought with some kind of fence and got away for another day. One of her elbow joints was overextended beyond straight and the bones fused that way. She had a difficult time getting around and eventually became an outcast from the rest of her group.

Her skin was scarred in several areas where it appeared barbed wire had torn the skin. In hindsight she was very healthy and probably would have made it fine had I let her pass.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
We had a doe years ago that only had three legs. She was such a good breeder she was off limits to shoot. I don't remember how old she was or remember how many years she was on our cameras but think she died of natural causes.
She probably couldn't outrun the bucks anymore MZ! :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I had a basket rack buck missing half of a rear leg that hopped around for a couple years. He was below the usual standards of what we would shoot, but I encouraged everyone to mercy kill him if the chance presented itself. But he was a smart one...probably extra smart due to his shortcomings, and nobody ever got a crack at him. Coyotes finally got him last winter, but he was a gamer for sure.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've recently had a buck come limping into frame in a movie (trail-cam set to video)...I mean the poor guy is laboring, front leg just flopping - awfull...I hope it is not from being shot but a fence or a car but hard to say from a 10 second video. I hope he makes another appearance but he I would bet he laid down and couldn't get up based on what I saw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts