Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have owned a walker for about 2 years now and he has developed a bad habit. He seems tense around children and has snapped at them in several occasions. My family and I love the dog and do not want to put him down but I dont know what to do. He snapped at a couple children in my house for no reason that I know of. At first I thaught he was just protective but sometimes he doesnt even bark he just snaps. I went on vaction for 10 days and left him with my buddy and he snapped at his sisters friend and left her with 15 stiches on her cheek. Now i dont want to put him down and thank god the parents have been understanding. I havent been abusive but i have slapped him around several times when he chewed up a 2 couch, and when I saw him snap at the kids face the first time. I dont know what to do. A perfesional is going to come over and evaluate him and see what is the best thing to do. What should I do? Have any of you resovled these problems? I dont ever want to see it happen again. Nor do i want to put my friend down.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Either find him a home WITHOUT children or put him down. Perferably today! No child deservse to be bitten by a dog. That type of behaive is unacceptable, period. And yes, that would go for my own dog too.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
HarleyP said:
Either find him a home WITHOUT children or put him down. Perferably today! No child deservse to be bitten by a dog. That type of behaive is unacceptable, period. And yes, that would go for my own dog too.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
HarleyP said:

no other options

·
Registered
647 Posts
Put him down. There isn't room for mistakes. He has already given 15 stitches with no reason. He continues to snap at kids with no reason. Put him down now.

Sorry I can't be more supportive on this but there are plenty of wonderful dogs out there. Get a pup and start again.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I had an outstanding setter that had dominance issues. He loved me and was very protective. Unfortunately, he wanted to establish a pecking order in the house, and nipped my daughter as she laid with him. No stitches, no blood, but a clear abrasion and a mark that was visible for 3 months. I found him a home on a farm without children, and he chases pheasants on a weekly basis. I never knew what he may have been thru previous to my getting him, but his current owner is very happy.
Find your dog a home w/o kids!

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Giving a kid 15 stitches isn't a snap, it is a violent bite. If the dog is biting at kids faces you don't really have options. You either have to put it down or face losing a lot more when someone sues you after getting bit or living with the results with the dog potentially maiming someone in the future.

·
Registered
157 Posts
HarleyP said:

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,133 Posts
and if there was a magic -wand fix for that I would already be retired and living on my own island somewhere !

I support the above recommendations.

Now....in preparation for your next dog.....

" but i have slapped him around several times "

........that is NOT "training" :sad:

dog training (like most things in life) is a LEARNED skill. so... LEARN HOW !!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Contact the breeder and let them know of the problem. Find out if there is a Rescue contact for that breed.

Sorry to say, but it is something that is very hard to correct once it begins and has happened a couple times. Ya hate to destroy a nice looking animal, BUT it IS going to happen again I can promise you that.

It happens in the blink of an eye. This dog needs to be kept away from children. Cant even trust him while you are present.

The breeder needs to know of this.

It's the old 1.5 second rule here. The dog needs to be caught in the act the very instant it growls or shows any dominat body launguage towards a kid. The correction needs to be abrupt and harsh. But the problem here is, the dogs gets corrected and then you or an adult is not around to correct it the next time and the dog gets away with it 3 or 4 more times and then it is caught again. Needs to be caught the first time and the second time and if that does not do it, then the dog is history either by having it put down or finding it another home.

From what you have descriped, it sounds like this behaivor has happened several times with out correction and will just get worse. I can understand you wanting to have a Pro come in who has delt with these types of situations before, but boy oh boy it's not gunna be easy and the dog can NEVER be trusted again.

Personally the dession would not be a hard one for me to make. I would find him another home with no children. Whom ever takes the dog needs to be fully aware of this dogs behaivor problem.

We took in a rescue dog a while back and tried to deal with a simular problem. He was a gentle giant at first, but then started showing signs of dominace over the other dogs, that was correctable, but he lowered his head and let out a low growl towards one of my kids, correction was made. He then killed one of the cats. That was more or less understandable, but he lowered his head again as one of the kids walked by his crate. No growl, just lowered his head and I watched his eyes. His ears were pinned back and he watch the child with just his eyes. 2 hours later he was taken to the Vet and was put down. I was going to save $70 and just use a $0.35 shotgun shell, but that is illegal. That dog was brought to us for Nipping at kids. A dog will ALLWAYS show some type of sign before it does this. I read him like a book and his days are now over. There were some who disagreed with our dession, but I saw what I saw and could have no part of it. I/we did the right thing.

Think it over long and hard, which I am sure you have and will continue to do so. The right dession will come to you in what we all call the "Gut feeling" and trust me, you should go with your Gut feeling on this one.

Good luck my friend,

Tom & the Gang

PS
Feel free to call me regarding your "friend"
PM Me for my phone number.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
HarleyP said:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Tecumseh said:
Giving a kid 15 stitches isn't a snap, it is a violent bite. If the dog is biting at kids faces you don't really have options. You either have to put it down or face losing a lot more when someone sues you after getting bit or living with the results with the dog potentially maiming someone in the future.
Well said, Mike!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
CityHick said:
he snapped at his sisters friend and left her with 15 stiches on her cheek.
That's called BITING SOMEONE IN THE FACE!! Not snapping.

I think the advice you have gotten has been solid, take it to heart...

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Wow, thats a serious dog bite. 15 stitches on a childs face is like 50 on an adult. My aunt had a dog like that that bit me when I was a kid, no stitches thank god. Dog was never socialized so it hated kids and tried to bite them all the time. She lives in the boonies and had a big fenced in yard. Dog lived about 15 years and was a-ok so long as no kids were around. Find a similar situation for him or put him down. Thank your lucky stars you didnt get sued for that dog bite. That poor kid is going to be scarred for life, phisically and mentally. Might be a good idea to get that poor kid a puppy or something to show that not all dogs bite, just a thought.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
so you find a home with no children. what garaunty do you have he will never come into contact with a child? going to keep him locked up? their is no dog so good , or so valuable that their worth endangering a child.

·
Registered
259 Posts
you said the kids parents understood ? I was wondering what they understood, Id be pretty ticked if i had to get 15 stitches on my kids face when YOU already knew the dog didnt like kids.........I dont think you should put it down but find it a new home both would be really hard but dogs live short lives its DEFINETLY not worht scaring a kid for the rest of theres

Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.