Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It never fails, opening morning all geared up ready to go and something fails.
So I thought I'd post this to remind everyone to have your back ups ready.
Light's.....a biggy. Spare lights for you or anyone in your party that forgets.
Extra shells in the truck or blind bag.....but in a managed area only so many.

Gloves, if you wear them.
Dog repair supplies....
Repair those waders if you have forgotten
Batteries for your spinner....if you use one, remote too.

These are a few, add if you wish

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Nice post Mike. I always take a spare shotgun especially if I am traveling very far and dry sweat pants and shirt in case you get wet from either rain or a missed step. No fun riding home soaking wet. Steve

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Anyone bring a cleaning rod for when you put a wet shell in, miss fire and have a wad stuck in the barrel......:rolleyes:
Ever since I have a rod it hasn't happened LOL.

spare recoil rope.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Don't forget to set 2 alarms, and call your buddy as soon as you get up so he is not late, or if he doesn't answer at least you wont have to wait around to see if he's coming or not, and your hunt will still be productive because you will be there and setup in plenty of time. Being late for hunting and fishing excursions are a drag, and should not be tolerated very much, or at all. JMOP

·
Registered
587 Posts
Working Headlamp
Working Flashlight
Backup headlamp in case a buddy forgets one
Good sturdy knife

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Make sure you have a fire extinguisher on board and it's charged...we're out there in boats surrounded by blinds covered in dry/dead vegetation and firing up the propane burner to cook breakfast, or the hand warmer, or smoking and joking...knock on wood, never had to pull the pin on my fire extinguisher...but it's there if I do.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If you have a duck boat and just pulled it out to use for the opener, drain the tank of old gas and put fresh in. Won't hurt to put some Sta-bil in there either. With today's fuels, better protect what you have.

Grease gearboxes.

Grease trailer axles.

Carry spare batteries for flashlights, etc.

Oh, and PLEASE DO clean out your blind bag from last season... nothing worse than grabbing the beef jerky you thought you just put in there... after you get set up in the dark and take a bite and it is fuzzy.......

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
First Aid kit. I had an army surplus one I used so many times everything ran out.
Bought a fancy one this time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm a big enough man to admit my faults on a public forum. Opening day of early goose this year I stopped and prepaid for gas while grabbing a coffee. Long story short 20 minutes before shooting light when its time to hide the truck it won't start and is sitting in the middle of 4 dozen decoys. Forgot to actually pump the gas. If it wasn't for my breakfast burritos I would probably be looking for a new group of guys to hunt with.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Nice post Mike. I always take a spare shotgun especially if I am traveling very far and dry sweat pants and shirt in case you get wet from either rain or a missed step. No fun riding home soaking wet. Steve
I believe there was a discussion about this earlier this year..Cannot do this if I'm not mistaken. Carrying an extra back up gun to the field or having one in the vehicle..

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I believe there was a discussion about this earlier this year..Cannot do this if I'm not mistaken. Carrying an extra back up gun to the field or having one in the vehicle..
I should have been more specific. Spare gun in the vehicle not in the boat or blind. Who ever needs it walks for it. Or we just share if all are the same gauge. I have needed to let someone use it twice. Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
SBE, I know you a not take one in the field, I.e. Blind, boat, marsh what have you. Just making sure by veh you don't mean your truck/car that stays in the lot. I haven't seen anything on that being against a regulation. I always have a spare gun in the truck and my wife's gun is in there unless she's using it or I'm cleaning it from October 1 till Christmas. Let me know if there is a law that says differently about this.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I should have been more specific. Spare gun in the vehicle not in the boat or blind. Who ever needs it walks for it. Or we just share if all are the same gauge. I have needed to let someone use it twice. Steve
That's what I'm saying though, you can't not even in the vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As It was explained to me you cannot have a spare gun in your possession while in the field. One weapon per hunter. Including CPL guns. You can have as many guns in your truck as you want as long as they are being transported legally and not carried to the hunting spot. If you take a boat to your hunting spot or hunt out of your boat you can only have one weapon per hunter on that boat. It's illegal to hunt from your truck/car without a special permit (that might be an exception to the rule) but a boat is always a legal hunting platform as long as it isn't under power from any kind of motor.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I am 99% sure that you are allowed to carry your pistol if you have a cpl. I know you can when you are bow hunting. Not sure why duck hunting would be any different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The federal reg simply states one firearm per hunter in the party. I would only imagine that would also include a CPL, deer hunting is state controlled, waterfowl is fed controlled and we all know how well try work. Not to mention while waterfowl hunting you annoy of any lead, weather it be for a pistol, rifle, or shotgun, so unless you can find a non lead pistol cartridge I would leave it at home.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts