Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Slow afternoon today. Fell one short of a one man, boxing 5. 11am-2:30pm Fished around today MC down through Algonac into north channel. Really didn’t beat up any one spot but checking spots I haven’t yet touched this year and not so good, lol. I did mark a lot of elevated fish. Hot and sunny…..I had to tell some kids playing in water to move so I can get the boat out at launch today, 50* water they seemed plenty happy for the summer like weather

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Funny you mention that, I did notice the packs here and there, I tend not to follow the packs too much unless I see nets, and wasn't really seeing that. Couple stops I was pretty much alone. I've noticed this watching in front of my house as well boats show up, breeds more boats, but no nets in the water. I keep my hunting binocs on the deck, haha.

Speaking of colors, and this is another general opinion question for anyone....do people just change the lure color, or do you change jig head with it? I've done both myself, sometimes just a new color fin-s and sometimes the jig as well.
I like to have a worm profile and a fin-s style. Sometimes it'll make a difference sometimes it won't.. Never know. Antifreeze or glow yellow jig 90% even though I've got 500 other colors 🤣

Sometimes crowds will push fish just 100 yards or more, maybe 2.. Cousin and I one time "chased" fish away from crowd. 100 yards at a time but we were alone. No nets, flip em! Was neat too experience and watch. Not a net behind us.

Also. If in shallow water and guys running over top of fish, inside, say your 25' less catching fish, guys go right over top of fish instead of OUTSIDE deep and around. That'll shut thier mouths and move em faster then anything.... good luck out there!

Thanks! I'm really liking all the info here, lot of good people not afraid to share tips. Thought I had a pretty good grip on understanding, but after seeing some of the folks here, I'm definitely still on the novice side!

Some great folks on here ! :)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Nice going, piketroller. I've had a lot of bumps and misses when I've jigged this year, too, but that was earlier, when the water was very cold. Odd that blue ice hasn't worked, because silver/blue has been one of the hottest colors for trolling cranks in the DR.
I did mark a lot of elevated fish. Hot and sunny…
Hmmm... that could be good for casting or trolling. I bet twitching stickbaits would hit around dusk. I often see 'eyes splashing around the shallows on calm nights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like to have a worm profile and a fin-s style. Sometimes it'll make a difference sometimes it won't.. Never know. Antifreeze or glow yellow jig 90% even though I've got 500 other colors 🤣

Sometimes crowds will push fish just 100 yards or more, maybe 2.. Cousin and I one time "chased" fish away from crowd. 100 yards at a time but we were alone. No nets, flip em! Was neat too experience and watch. Not a net behind us.

Also. If in shallow water and guys running over top of fish, inside, say your 25' less catching fish, guys go right over top of fish instead of OUTSIDE deep and around. That'll shut thier mouths and move em faster then anything.... good luck out there!

Some great folks on here ! :)
Awesome stuff! Thanks for all the info! Definitely new ways to approach things when scouting around.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Funny you mention that, I did notice the packs here and there, I tend not to follow the packs too much unless I see nets, and wasn't really seeing that. Couple stops I was pretty much alone. I've noticed this watching in front of my house as well boats show up, breeds more boats, but no nets in the water. I keep my hunting binocs on the deck, haha.

Speaking of colors, and this is another general opinion question for anyone....do people just change the lure color, or do you change jig head with it? I've done both myself, sometimes just a new color fin-s and sometimes the jig as well.
I had the hot hand the other day and my jighead was so beat down it was 95% straight lead. I don’t think a jighead makes any difference at all.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts