Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I made it to camp safely, and back home safely. Going up was a white knuckle experience. Figured with the storm hitting hard Thursday morning, we would leave Wed evening. Not sure as to where we hit the storm at, but once we did, we went from doing 65-70 all the way down to 35-40. Got to the Waters area to fill up (just in case), and the lady at the counter, say's that they will be closing the bridge @ 11pm. WHAT? Time is 10:30PM, no way that we can make to the bridge being over 45min away, and with the storm being as bad as it was. Made it to the bridge and across. But going 20mph was the speed limit, and anyone who didn't have a camper, or was pulling a trailer with fourwheeler's were allowed to go ahead, but everyone else had to stay back and wait for more trucker's. This was my first time crossing the bridge with wind's like that, man I tell you what, my knuckle's were white, and I was sweating, lol.

Left Midland around 8pm was at the cabin around 4 or 5 am thursday morning. Pretty sad, drive through a snow storm, blizzard condition's, to NO snow :rolleyes: Unpacked and had a few "pops" to chill the nerves out. Set stand's later that day, and were ready to go for the opener.

Our camp took a Doe opening morning, and that was it. My brother pass'd on a 4pt, said he wanted something bigger. After that, the day's were small blur's ;) :D But we did hang 1 Doe 4buck's. 2 spike's, 1 4pt, and one 6pt before the trip came to a decision to head home, do to weather. Theere were 6 people in our group, so 5 outa 6 isn't to bad. To bad I was the one with the SKUNK crossing the bridge. Oh well, still plenty of time, and I have a few Doe permit's to fill yet :)

(The story of the 4pt) A couple day's later, we went back to area my brother was sitting to get his seat. He come's running back down the hill yelling "S#!T, GET THE GUN 4PT." I look over and here is the deer limping. Gun in hand, taking a off-hand shot (first time)....My brother is standing alongside the truck and the 4pt cross's the rd. To shorten this a bit, it took a second shot from the Remington .280 in the neck to put this deer down. Who ever shot it, IS a PISS POOR shot. They hit it in no man's land, missing the back bone about 2-3." This is the same deer that my brother pass on opening, but he made a great decision to take it, and put it outa his misery.

We did find some Wolf track's, heard a bunch of 'yotes. One big bodied deer was seen in our group, but the 3 guy's that seen it, didn't get a good clean look at the head. Had some guy's set up camp about 100yds from my stand :mad: Had a guy from that camp sitting about 100yds away from me :mad: :rolleyes:

I am cutting this a little short, as I still need to unpack my truck and take my truck and power wash it. Glad to be back home, and glad to see everyone again. I logged on, and was lost :eek: :( I couldn't find my way around for a minute. Need to get back up to speed on this home away from home.

Later

·
Super Moderator
11,731 Posts
Howdy, fr4sh-

You were only skunked on the pole; you are a winner as far as memories and good times are concerned!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts