Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is written that deer prefer awnless wheat seed heads. When I ask for it at the two local elevators I get a blank stare. Anyone buy the stuff locally?

·
Premium Member
12,905 Posts
If your buying certified seed both awned and awnless are available but If your buying bin run you take what you get.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
In my experience, seed dealers whose customer base is principally farmers all know what awnless wheat it.

Around me, probably 20-25% of the wheat I see grown in the awnless variety. I've purchased it from dealers in the past. Usually, I plant the bin run stuff.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So it is written that deer prefer awnless wheat seed heads. When I ask for it at the two local elevators I get a blank stare. Anyone buy the stuff locally?
You need to look to a different supplier to get your seed from. If they don't know the difference between awned and awnless I would doubt their credibility on anything in agronomy as that is as basic as it gets. I have raised and sold both for almost 30 years and personally like awnless better only because I don't get picked up or poked as badly. Certified seed is the best way to assure you get what you want but is triple the cost of bin run from a local grower. There are also both red and white varieties but either will work as well as the other. List your location and I'm sure someone on here will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
19,189 Posts
....... I have raised and sold both for almost 30 years and .........
If you sell bin run awnless, I would be interested for next year. Do you also sell bin run rye, oats & buckwheat ? Gratiot Co. on your profile. Nearest town ? Thanks in advance.

L & O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts