Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I just got back from an out of state hunt for whitetails to Ahoskie, N.C. with Cutawhiskie Creek outfitters. All I can say is if you are smart, you will avoid any business dealings with this crook if you are wise and learn from my mistake.
I guess I fell victim to a flashy website and youtube and facebook posts....I thought I had done my homework, as I looked for negative reports and didn't find any.
We had a 5 day hunt, in which we could take 5 deer (two bucks and 3 does); I was interested in getting some meat for the freezer, and my last hunt (with a different outfitter) in N.C. was a good one, so I convinced my friend to come along.
In five days of hunting, 7 hunters hunting 9-11 hours a day saw NO shootable deer.....if we did see a doe, it was in a "no doe" area, and none of the bucks had the required 4 points on a side....they were either forkhorns or spikes.
There was always some excuse.....the first was the "moon phase", then it was the weather. The "guide" did nothing but bitch about clients, and came on as a hard-ass from the start..."You WILL stay in your stand, or I'll throw your Mother F******* ass out of here!" and similar comments.....nice way to start a business/client relationship, eh? The owner took no interest in his clients either. Their idea of "guiding" was putting you in a plywood box and leaving you there until it was time to get you. The first two days I was put in an elevated blind over a cut cotton field.....I had NO idea why I was put in this blind, as deer don't eat cotton (to the best of my knowledge), but I figured maybe they skirted the edge of the field or had a path that crossed it or something. Never saw a deer in that blind the two days I was put there. We were then put on some other properties that were just as deerless. The last one we hunted was supposedly "over run" with does.....again, nobody saw anything. After two hours of boredom, I got out of the stand and walked around the area; the feeder looked as if it was just filled the night before, and there were no tracks, droppings, trails, ect. anywhere to be found. A couple of other hunters did the same thing, with the same results (no deer sign to be found). Their idea of "changing things up" was to move you from one blind, where you didn't see anything, to another blind where a member of your hunting party didn't see anything.......what a waste. The "guide" then proceded to bitch about clients (both past and those currently in camp), saying "I can't wait for Jan 1st (end of season)" and "those Mother Fu***** didn't leave me a tip". The owners response to the lack of deer? "Gee...I sure hope someone kills something, to get moral up".

You hope someone kills something?:rolleyes: How utterly pathetic...at no time whatsoever did they go out and check bait sites, trail cams, etc. Their excuse was "they didn't want to disturb the deer in the area"

What deer?:mad:

Here are a few other issues with this outfitter:

-on the website, it is advertised that "you will get 2 1/2 meals per day"; for lunch, their idea of a meal was a frozen hamburger and they pointed you at the microwave. There was no such thing as "breakfast".

-He also advertises on the website that they have two way radios to be in touch with a guide; when we got there, we were told to use our cell phones to text our guide. Cell phone coverage was spotty, at best, and mine didn't work at all in that area......if I had slipped an twisted an ankle getting into the stand, or had some other medical issue, there was no way that I could contact them for help.....and they really didn't seem to care.

-Also advertised on the website is that there would be no more than 8-12 hunters in camp per week, to keep hunting pressure light. There were 22 hunters in camp when we left at noon on Friday (we had had enough), and none of those hunters had seen deer, and NOBODY was happy....the tension was high and the place seemed like a powder keg ready to go off; we didn't want to be around when it did.

-one bathroom for 22 hunters (I think that speaks for itself).

-no smoke detectors, first aid kit, or fire extinguisher. I bring this up because my friend, who is an electrical engineer, help the lodge owners "friend" from down the road rewire the circuit box on Friday before we left (he had bypassed it).:yikes:

-one gallon of orange juice (for 17 hunters), one gallon of milk, and a 4 cup coffee maker....and once the 4 cups were gone, no more was made.

-several people in camp had gastrointestinal issues, including myself....whether it was poor food handling/utensil cleaning or coincidence is beyond me, but I doubt it was the latter.

-cockroaches in the bedroom, and the mattress I had stunk to high heaven; from what I have NO idea, but it was BAD!!!

I worked hard for the money I paid these clowns, and I feel I was swindeled......for the record, this was not my first rodeo....I been on several out of state hunts. I realize that there are certain things that are beyond an outfitters control, such as the weather or natural disasters (such as floods, hurricanes, epidemics that wipe out herds, etc). My first hunt out west was for mule deer, and the temp was in the 80s and we were hunting in T shirts. The mule deer hadn't moved down from the high country, and we weren't seeing much.....but my outfitter worked his butt off trying to get me a deer, scouting new areas, saddling up horses and taking me back into the wilderness areas (it was suppose to be a "ranch" hunt....horseback hunts were more expensive) in an effort to get me game. I settled on a doe, and the outfitter was apologetic that the weather wasn't cooperating. But I knew he did his best, and sometimes it just doesn't work out.
However, what the cheats did at Cutawhiskie creek was just "take the money and run"
Hopefully this post will help someone from making the same mistake I did............

-

·
Super Moderator
37,725 Posts
That is awful. Best wishes on your next adventure.....

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trip. Aside from the poor amenities, it sounds like the place was overhunted. Having hunted in the Pensacola area quite a bit, I do believe deer eat certain parts of the cotton plant when it's still green. Once it blooms and turns brown...probably not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Youre outfitter sounds like the outfit from new mexico me and my friend went with almost the exact same exsprience . Cussed up a storm but called himself a christain didn;t even see a mule deer stay away from new mexico professional big hame hunting

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Thanks for the warning! Do you happen to know the name of the guys that were running this outfit? A friend of mine had a similar experience in NC a few years ago. The company name does not sound familiar, but a lot of these shysters change their business names every few years when their bad reputations catch up to them.

You might want to put them on Ripoffreport.com as well.

·
Registered
647 Posts
That does suck!! I have been with shady outfitter before also.
Did you call his references before going?

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
I'd report them to the Better Bus Bureau, State of NC, Outfitter assoc of NC (if there is one), State DNR, Whoever licenses outfitters in NC.

Also, post a warning on every hunting website you can think of..

Crooks like them should be put out of business.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That does suck!! I have been with shady outfitter before also.
Did you call his references before going?
Why check references? You know that they aren't about to put a person on those reference sheets that didn't get a deer or were deeply disatisfied now, would they? Doesn't make good business sense.....

I did try and find negative reports in other spots......other hunting websites, social media, etc. I didn't find any.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd report them to the Better Bus Bureau, State of NC, Outfitter assoc of NC (if there is one), State DNR, Whoever licenses outfitters in NC.

Also, post a warning on every hunting website you can think of..

Crooks like them should be put out of business.

I do plan on reporting them to the BBB, State attorney general, I've emailed the Dept of fish and game to see if they require licenses of their outfitters, the local chamber of commerce, fire marshall, ect.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I know that this is probably a wasted post, but I personally would never invest any money on any outfitter ever. Way too many horror stories like this one to take a chance of getting a bozo like you describe.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's a real crap shoot these days. I basically don't go anywhere that I don't personally know someone who's already been there. I let someone else be the guinea pig. ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Youre outfitter sounds like the outfit from new mexico me and my friend went with almost the exact same exsprience . Cussed up a storm but called himself a christain didn;t even see a mule deer stay away from new mexico professional big hame hunting
I'll second that. Friend and I went in 2001 and my backside is still puckered up from the experience.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Would agree that provided references can be a self serving tool, and it is possible the references are questionable, but then, how can an uniformed first timer know that? Outside reviews are one of the best way to sort out the good from the bad and ugly... Professional organizations are a good source of unbiased info, IMO, and lack of participation in such organizations might be a good clue. Communicating with a competitor might also be helpful.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
As a rental business I appreciate your input. I helps me and reminds me to take more time with my vacation rental. Thank you. http://www.powellshoreslodge.com I haven't had stories like yours but I don't rent to large groups either. If you ever head to the u.p. let me know. We can work something out. Off season would be drastically reduced. Bring your family and enjoy Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and a private lake. Great campfires and decent fishing.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Well what do you expect from the south? You're lucky they had a toilet, most places only have a ditch... sometimes an outhouse.

:lol: ;)

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Why check references? You know that they aren't about to put a person on those reference sheets that didn't get a deer or were deeply disatisfied now, would they? Doesn't make good business sense.....
Quite often outfitters that are that bad are oblivious to what a satisfied hunter looks like and will send you to someone that may have shot a deer but can still give you an objective opinion. If your the 1 our of 22 guys in camp that get's a deer and he uses you as a reference you would surely let people know that you were the 1 out of 22 and what the issues were. Success doesn't mean a satisfied hunter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can only speak from my experience. I just returned from a hunt at Cutawhiskie Creek Outfitters. I shot a very nice 8 point. During my week I saw some younger bucks 6 pt and smaller and another 8 and a huge 10 (sadly couldn't get a shot at the 10). A 7 pt and 2 smaller were taken that week. the 2 smaller were 2 guys that had never shot a buck in their life. Other 8s and some other larger were spotted. Some shot and missed. The rut was active this week. We had several days of rain and yes, the deer wasn't moving much those days but hey, that's hunting. There were 12 in camp that week. Yes there was no breakfast except muffins, cracker type snacks, microwave breakfast sandwiches, I can't eat a ton of food at 4:30 AM so not a big deal for me. I don't care to eat and then try to sit in my stand for 6 hours and not have to use a bathroom so I do nothing in and nothing out so to speak. Lunches were burgers or dogs on the grill. Some days it was eggs with bacon, sausage, one afternoon came back to omelets. Dinners were huge home cooked southern meals. No one got sick from the food. Place is old tobacco barn so it wasn't fancy but I can assure you it was clean and no critters. Yes there is one bathroom but it was clean and no line. I was only woman in camp and the bathroom was not left in a "nasty" condition not even once. Other observations I made while there was one gentleman was 79 years old and walked with a cane. I can't begin to tell you how patient the guides were with him. Setting up a ground blind and helping into different spots and making sure he was safe and happy. This was my observations. I guess like all reviews left out in in cyberspace...you can believe them or not.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
I can only speak from my experience. I just returned from a hunt at Cutawhiskie Creek Outfitters. I shot a very nice 8 point. During my week I saw some younger bucks 6 pt and smaller and another 8 and a huge 10 (sadly couldn't get a shot at the 10). A 7 pt and 2 smaller were taken that week. the 2 smaller were 2 guys that had never shot a buck in their life. Other 8s and some other larger were spotted. Some shot and missed. The rut was active this week. We had several days of rain and yes, the deer wasn't moving much those days but hey, that's hunting. There were 12 in camp that week. Yes there was no breakfast except muffins, cracker type snacks, microwave breakfast sandwiches, I can't eat a ton of food at 4:30 AM so not a big deal for me. I don't care to eat and then try to sit in my stand for 6 hours and not have to use a bathroom so I do nothing in and nothing out so to speak. Lunches were burgers or dogs on the grill. Some days it was eggs with bacon, sausage, one afternoon came back to omelets. Dinners were huge home cooked southern meals. No one got sick from the food. Place is old tobacco barn so it wasn't fancy but I can assure you it was clean and no critters. Yes there is one bathroom but it was clean and no line. I was only woman in camp and the bathroom was not left in a "nasty" condition not even once. Other observations I made while there was one gentleman was 79 years old and walked with a cane. I can't begin to tell you how patient the guides were with him. Setting up a ground blind and helping into different spots and making sure he was safe and happy. This was my observations. I guess like all reviews left out in in cyberspace...you can believe them or not.
Interesting that you just joined the sight today, and your first post is in response to a thread that is two years old, about an outfitter in another state. Exactly how did you come across this? And what is your relationship with the outfitter?

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
For a new member and to have a first post about this outfitter seems suspect to me!o_O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts