Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what an average beaver weighs?

I recently saw an article on the Front page of a Mt. Pleasant area newspaper where a trapper caught a big 50# beaver, yet in the latest issue of Field and Stream- there is an article stating that 60# is average.

Just wondering what others experiences are with weight. I've only been trapping a few years and mainly in the U.P. The smallest being 48# and the largest 83#. The most consistent weight being right around 55#. Most of these beavs measure 68+ inches on the board, which nafa calls 2xl-3xl. I haven't sold any furs yet, only tanned so far. So how do I determine if what I'm catching is average, above average or doesn't really matter 'cause there's a nick near the leghole :bash: :lol: JJ

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If the smallest beaver you have caught weighed 48# you got some pretty big beaver. I would have to say the average size beaver would be the two year olds and they would run roughly 25# to 35#'s. Those are just rough estimates never really weighed to many critters.

Joe

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Never seen a Beaver I didn't like....big or small ,,well you knew it was coming...Mack

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would guess the same, that the average weight is 28-32ish, maybe 35#

If your smallest is 48#, and you've caught an 83# beaver, and most around 55#.....you're doing a heck of alot better than most. Don't give up your location. :) I've never heard of any, recently in Michigan, over 70. My biggest ever was 62#, beating my previous best by 4 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Avidhunter,

The beaver you are catching are well above average!!!

Like Joe R. and Mallard, I would say that a two year old beaver will weigh in at about 35 to 40 pounds, which will grade out to be large or extra large.

I hope you had a boat or canoe to float that 83# beaver back to camp ;) . My largest beaver, like Mallard was 62#.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I should clarify tho' those are the weights of the UP beavs I've gotten. The ones around here seem to run closer to 30+ pounds, so I pull everything figuring I was getting into younger stock. I surely don't want to over trap an area and sometimes its difficult to tell if someone has already been there.

BTW, the big guy is @ the taxidermist along with a 66# jet black beav and a 24# otter. I will post some pics when I get them back if anyone wants to see them.

Again, thanks for the information. I'm just concerned about taking too many from an area and hurting the population. JJ :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts