Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone boat on the huron river? I was wondering how deep on average is the huron below huroc park. I would like to fish the river with my boat but don't like to tear up the prop. I took a drive down to the launch today and it seems kinda shallow.

·
Banned
352 Posts
It is low right now but you can boat it. Just follow the main current. Most of the loose trees are jammed up at the various bridges and the rest being low are pretty visible. Now would be a great time to go out and learn the river.

On average I would say is 4 to 5 feet with some holes going to about 15 feet and some areas only being 2 feet.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I wish it would warm up a bit, I'd put the motor back on the boat. I've never fished it by a boat before. I was thinking it was more shallow than what you said. In New Boston I see the river as I pass over the bridge, and it look real shallow up here.

·
Banned
352 Posts
On almost every stretch of the Huron it will get shallow but the main flow of the river is a pretty safe bet. The hard part is unless your back trolling is find a spot to drop anchor and cast to. I would highly recommend a trip down the river to mark your danger zones.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Right out of the launch if you was headed to the dam is only 2 feet.If you go down stream you be ok.But dont fly untill you learn the river.There are rocks and big ones.If you dont know where they are at it could be ugly.Theres not alot of them but it only takes one.Best bet is go slow and look.When you see wierd water likes its doing a back current.Odds are theres something there.From the launch down to where theres a drain on the north /right is pretty safe.As you pass that right now its only 3 ft for a few hundred yrds.Go slow and youll be fine,Mich

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Michigander, too bad I waited so long to decide that I want to try fishing it. How late in the year do you guys fish for them? I've never fished for Steelies before, so I don't know whats the best time or season for them. I'm all in to check out the river though. Maybe next year :sad:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Thanks Michigander, too bad I waited so long to decide that I want to try fishing it. How late in the year do you guys fish for them? I've never fished for Steelies before, so I don't know whats the best time or season for them. I'm all in to check out the river though. Maybe next year :sad:
All winter untill the ice flows.Then ill pull my boat.This is the best time for them threw spring,Mich

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Yeah I was also thinking about hitting the river with a canoe and 5 horse.Probaly be perfect for this river but with the extreme cold its now off.She`ll be icing over pretty soon.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've gotten some of my best fish in January. Sometimes I've had to slide the boat across the ice to get out there. Stew105 used to wade in even colder weather in February and did pretty good. That was when the dock at the launch was under water, though. We'll need alot more precipitation to get to that level.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might put the motor back on the boat and give it a try this year. Wife will be happy to know that I need to buy even more lures to catch the steelies. :tdo12:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I might put the motor back on the boat and give it a try this year. Wife will be happy to know that I need to buy even more lures to catch the steelies. :tdo12:
You can get steelies with a single lure, but it takes a whole lot of them to learn where the snags are.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More than 75% of my lures are for pike and musky, the others are for walleye and bass. Checking around on here I don't have the right gear for steelies. Looks like I'm going to have to cut off the titanium leaders and put on light line. Or I could leave it on and pull up the snags and get free lures and see what everyone is using. :lol:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
More than 75% of my lures are for pike and musky, the others are for walleye and bass. Checking around on here I don't have the right gear for steelies. Looks like I'm going to have to cut off the titanium leaders and put on light line. Or I could leave it on and pull up the snags and get free lures and see what everyone is using. :lol:
Steel bites them too ;),Mich

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took a ride AGAIN down to the river, this time I found a firetiger rapala by the ramp. I ended up meeting a fisherman down the road casting spawn under a bobber, no fish from him. I walked the edge and seen a hot-n-tot in a hole about 4 feet underwater. I got an idea what is needed for these steelhead. Water is nice and clear but looks to be real low. Common rain!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Elk,
For pulling plugs you don't need that light of line...I would say 10lb or 12lb would be the lightest you want to go...some plug fishermen can help me out but anytime ive been out I've used 12lb...float fishing is a totally different story...

Yes, I have waded the river from Oct through April...as long as you dress right cold weather is not that bad and the fishing can be quite productive.

stew

·
Banned
352 Posts
Personally when throwing plugs I always use 20 LB Super Braid by Stren. Go ahead and start the bickering but to be honest I would rather save plugs by bending the hook then lose a fish or 2. I have never really noticed a difference when using super braid other then that I have caught fish on 8 lb Low Vis stren on plugs but only when the fish were being fussy and a change was in order. I have not noticed any loss of fish or any less action by using superbraid when throwing plugs and the great thing is if you get a big steely hooked on a plug on superbraid you can pretty much count him as landed.

But there are those days when they are being picky and you have to use plastic line. I only throw Lo Vis Green 8 LB Test by stren. This is all I have ever used and between 6 and 8 lb test I have never noticed a difference in action or likelyhood of a strike.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Elk,
For pulling plugs you don't need that light of line...I would say 10lb or 12lb would be the lightest you want to go...some plug fishermen can help me out but anytime ive been out I've used 12lb...float fishing is a totally different story...

Yes, I have waded the river from Oct through April...as long as you dress right cold weather is not that bad and the fishing can be quite productive.

stew
Your a nut :lol:.Your the only guy i know that would fish the coldest day of the yr/last yr.Guess im to old for them cold days :(.Far as plugging goes.I use 8lb.I dont think it matters much.My friend uses fireline 20 lb.and catches just as many as me.Dont even ask me about the water levels :rant:,Mich

1 - 20 of 21 Posts