Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg
image.jpg
fished Austin lake last night for some musky. Went 2/3 in four hours. Nothing big. Both fish came on Crankbaits behind boards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where about can you catch those at night and what type of crank? I usually do good early morning on a spinner bait. I live right down the road from austin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We caught them both on 8 inch ziggys and had another one hit a 10 inch homemade. They are all over that lake no place is any better then another. Just keep lures high. I went through about 15 lures before we landed one

·
Registered
12 Posts
We caught them both on 8 inch ziggys and had another one hit a 10 inch homemade. They are all over that lake no place is any better then another. Just keep lures high. I went through about 15 lures before we landed one
Thats exciting! thanks for the info, I may take a break from bass fishing that lake and target musky for once

·
Habitual outdoorsman
991 Posts
What do you mean you went through 15 lures?? Bass fishing with no steel leader? Nice job on the muskies!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean you went through 15 lures?? Bass fishing with no steel leader? Nice job on the muskies!!
So made it out to Austin again last night. Went 1/2 but caught personal best from that lake. Caught her in 3.5 fow measured 47.5 inches. Released to fight another day.
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't want to be a jerk, but please hold the bigger fish horizontally. I killed one on the Kawartha chain by holding it vertically and it still bothers me 15 years later. Nice job on the musky!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice job on the 47! The majority of the big girls have been taken out of that lake in the winter time. Not sure if you ever got a chance to fish Austin in the pre-spearing days but it was phenomenal. Sad to see what happened out there in such a short amount of time.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Very nice job on the 47! The majority of the big girls have been taken out of that lake in the winter time. Not sure if you ever got a chance to fish Austin in the pre-spearing days but it was phenomenal. Sad to see what happened out there in such a short amount of time.
Is Spearing legal out there?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is Spearing legal out there?
It is. It wasn't but then they decided to quit stocking the lake and open it up to spearing (still not sure where the logic is in that). They opened it back in 2010 or so. And then once the majority of the adult fish were removed decided to start stocking it again, although those fish still aren't very big yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is. It wasn't but then they decided to quit stocking the lake and open it up to spearing (still not sure where the logic is in that). They opened it back in 2010 or so. And then once the majority of the adult fish were removed decided to start stocking it again, although those fish still aren't very big yet.
Thanks smada I fished it a dozen or so times since 2000 but since I moved to Vicksburg I started fishing a lot of bass tournaments out there. In our first tournament out there this year I saw probably 5 musky in the mid 40 inch range right up around the docks. I didn't know they opened it up to spearing. That's a shame because I think that lake could produce some real Giants. That was the biggest one I've caught out there to date. I was trolling out there Monday and had one hit my planer board. Out of all the years I've trolled I've never seen that happen. I've been catching lots of 36 to 40 inch fish so hopefully they can dodge the spears!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts