Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading up to the AuSable this weekend and looking for advice on where and when I should float. I usually wade and fish the South Branch or up by Burton's Landing but have access to a drift boat this weekend and want to try something new. Any advice on when and where would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I was thinking Stephan Bridge down to Parmalee but think that may be too long. I've never fished that stretch before and figured with the bigger water came bigger fish. We would be using a drift boat. We also really wanted to do some dry fly fishing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You have a drifter or a river boat?

·
Registered
61 Posts
your right stephan to parmalee is a long long ride.second anything other than a river boat in the holy waters your looking at a lot of upset anglers cursing you out.my advise is try Mc Masters to Parmalee or Parmalee to the whirlpool.If you want pm me i ll see if i can help you out further

·
Registered
19 Posts
Full sized drift boats are usually frowned upon on the Holy Waters -- especially now that the trout season "opener" has come. There is some new timber in the water there as well that would make it difficult to navigate (along with the number of wading anglers there). The South Branch has a lot of water flowing now making it a good option if you have some skill on the oars. As formentioned, something like the water downstream on the main stream would be a great option -- fewer anglers, bigger water. Parmalee - Whirlpool is a good float.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would McMasters to Parmalee or Parmalee to Whirlpool be as far as dry fly fishing? Thanks again for all of the input.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We floated Connors Flat to McMasters this weekend - be ready to really man up on the oars if the water is still up, but it was a good float. Thought about going through the holy waters, but opted not to and waded instead. Probably best to leave well enough alone ya know.

As a side note, if anyone is looking into getting a guide for a float on the holy waters - pm me. My dad and I found the best one ever in my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Should be plenty of dry fly action on that water this weekend with the daytime warm ups right now. Fish have been looking up for about 2 weeks and should only get better from hear on out.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a cabin about 4 miles upriver from the paralee and was up there for the opener. The river was high and fast with lots of debris in the water. Sat. was a beautiful day and we had about 40 or 50 boats go by.I did my fishing from shore and had a hard time keeping my hook out of the timber. Every boat that goes by asks how I'm doing and most said that they where catching fish. The catch included suckers, pike, walleye, browns, brook, and rainbows. I never did see a hatch worth talking about but this weekend should produce some strong ones. McMasters to Parmalee should take you about 4 hours give or take a few minutes. Hope to be up for the weekend but my turkey season starts monday so will be there then for sure. If you come by say Hi.

·
Registered
61 Posts
only four hours to fish that area.Thats moving fast usually takes me 8hrs to float that area and thats only one guy fishing up front in the drift boat.LOL hate to think if i was all by myself.Hey think i ve seen your place before.Is it on the south side of the river nice bend right after your place

·
Registered
678 Posts
Iv'e never fished the whole stretch but have kayaked it. About 2 hours from McMasters to my place and the same from cabin to parmalee. Just going by that so not sure what it will acually take. Keep in mind we are partying at the time so who knows. I guess you would say that I am on the east side. River runs north and south where i'm at then 90 degree turn about 200 yards after me. This is right out front.

and this is just up river from me.

Next time stop by for a brew.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Rick, dang that has to be very close to our cabin we have. where are you located? By the pics I can not remember that stretch. We are on the north side of the river exactly between McMasters/Parm too, And the river runs a n/s direction too, onthe left side of the "V" where it dips down. We are off Cherry Creek road, down Tucker Trail. Looked again at your description and it seems your down stream from me, but onthe south side of the river.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Beer and nuts, Tucker trail is right across from me. I'm on Haskell drive. Check it out on gps or google earth. I am the second to last place on Haskell dr. Ther is a beautiful new log cabin about a 1/2 mile down river from me on your side. I think it's on cherry creek rd. Hell, we must be nieghbors.Swim on over 1 day, just not in November! Burr! Do you know where foleys place was? Are you any where around there.? I've driven down tucker trail but am not to familiar with it. Check out google earth and let me know where you are from me.
Small world.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Yes, that new cabin is a couple bends upstream from us or we're the second cabin down from that new cabin. We own 1200 feet and our cabin sits right on the river. Were there sometimes on the weekend and there on weyerhasuer canoe race weekend--stop by if your floating down if you see some activity.

Dam 4 drift-Lincoln Lodge is about 3/4 mile to the east of our turn on Cherry creek, and then another 1.5 miles back to the river.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
don't you mean west of your turn to lincoln lodge??
i can see tucker trail out my back door ..
how far are you in from the private property sign on tucker trail

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Lincoln Lodge is west of tucker Trail-yes. Might be further than 3/4 mile though. Woodie-you have the big clearcut out your back door-right?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You guys are confusing me. Who had the beer??:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I like the McMaster's to Parmalee float, but beware....There is a fairly lengthy section of 'frog water' that gobbles up a better part of the middle section.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts