Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to my Mom's to get her house ready for winter over the Thanksgiving holiday. Took some me time Friday morning and managed to pick up a couple of Atlantic Salmon. The DNR have been releasing them in the AuSable for several years now and there are multiple year classes returning.

Managed to catch two fish, one at 23 and the other at 18. Caught both on my Echo Full Spey 13' 7wt rod with an Airflo 480gr Scout Skagit head and straight t-14 Mow Tip with an olive egg sucking leech.

No steelhead but I will be back up around Christmas to try again.

Vertebrate Fish Water Wood Fish products

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the report! Do you typically stick with T-14 for the Ausable? And if could ask what are using for leader mono or flouro?
Thanks, Mike.
For the most part I stick with the T-14 and my Spey rod. It was a bit overkill for these fish but it is a big river with big water and some big fish. There are Atlantics in the 30 inch range. Never know when I might hook into a big steelhead as well. My switch could do it but I'm wading and I don't want to chase a fish that suddenly decides he should be back in Lake Huron. If I need to run shallower I switch up the T-14 to a 5/5 float/sink tip.

As for leader I use 30 pound mono for my butt section, about a foot, but it's all floro after that. About 18 inches of 25 lb. and another 18 inches of 15 lb. Give or take. Each person has their own thing.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my wish list to chase Atlantics
They are something. Caught them on both the AuSable and the St. Mary's rapids wading on the CDN side. That area is very accessible by foot but that current is wicked when the gates are open. I usually go up every Thanksgiving for steelhead but with the borders closed this year it was cancelled. Hope to be able to go up in the Spring.

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
They are something. Caught them on both the AuSable and the St. Mary's rapids wading on the CDN side. That area is very accessible by foot but that current is wicked when the gates are open. I usually go up every Thanksgiving for steelhead but with the borders closed this year it was cancelled. Hope to be able to go up in the Spring.
I was last up at the Rapids in 2001 and 2005 for kings and pinks. Water levels were very manageable then; now - ohhhh, i don’t think my 51 year old self would try that.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was last up at the Rapids in 2001 and 2005 for kings and pinks. Water levels were very manageable then; now - ohhhh, i don’t think my 51 year old self would try that.
Same here. With the levels being so high on Superior the only time they close the gates is for maintenance. It's been a couple of years since the last time I didn't see water coming over the concrete berm.

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Same here. With the levels being so high on Superior the only time they close the gates is for maintenance. It's been a couple of years since the last time I didn't see water coming over the concrete berm.
I did once follow the wrong path on the small island between the parking lot and the rapids. People from the wall could see me but I was so tangled in a willows thicket I was exhausted by the time I bust through to the water! o_O

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did once follow the wrong path on the small island between the parking lot and the rapids. People from the wall could see me but I was so tangled in a willows thicket I was exhausted by the time I bust through to the water! o_O
Yeah it's easy to get turned around if you only make the trip once or twice a year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.