Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the UP on thursday 8-9-12.

ahhh....the Mighty Mac...
Arriving early evening allowed me to check a couple lake Michigan tributaries for salmon but i didnt see anything going on, still too early for slamon.
For those who have never tried it, stop at The Cut River Store!! It's right on highway 2 30 miles west of the bridge! They make THE BEST beef jerky and smoked hot pepper cheese! :corkysm55
Friday morning came quick and after finishing a couple cups of coffee, i snapped a pic of camp :

And went fishing :)

The first couple trout were small, but it wasnt long till I got a decent brookie :

I dont know if its an old indian saying, but i remember hearing that you'll catch twice as many keepers if you let the first one go! So back in it went :

Well, the old saying sorta came true :

but with brown trout! :lol:
So back in it went :

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The brown trout were biting well :

besides the previous 2 browns, 14 & 15 inchers, i missed a couple 20 plus inchers :smile-mad but back this one went too:

Some wonderful brookies came to hand :

but no monster 15 plus inch brookies, mostly run of the mill 12-14 inchers :lol:

again, nature provides clues:

yellow jackets sap collecting on my truck!!:rant: but i switched to a bumble bee colored spinner and:

BAM!! 20 inch brown! That slab went in the creel! Note; this brown came from a spot i almost didnt even cast too! it was about a foot and a half deep undercut bank with tall grass bending over into the river ;) and only about 10 yrds in front of me! Make sure you cast ALL the structure in a river, you just never know...

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

small bear and coyote tracks 200 yrds from camp :16suspect
future slab :)

some river resident:

and a couple nice holes most ppl will never see :evilsmile

The rivers and creeks are 6-12 inches low they need rain in the UP!
Goodluck :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks for sharing the adventure Slabstar, looks like a great time was had!

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Nice pics and great story, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Great report Slab! I hope to get up at least 1 more time before it's all done. Seeing your pics makes me want to go even more!!

Don

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
WOW! pretty much sums it all up. Thank you for sharing. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great pictures and stories Slab!

I'm heading up this weekend for an entire week. Can't wait!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great report Slab! I hope to get up at least 1 more time before it's all done. Seeing your pics makes me want to go even more!!

Don
Thank you VERY much everyone, for commenting on the report, I appreciate it :)

Don, this August trip was great, i caught, as shown in the pics, three 'generations' of trout! The small, or new gen, the medium generation, and only landed one 'old growth' brown. No kidding, the last two trips the biggest 'oldest' generation of trout kicked my a&&!! In july the brookies dominated my catch, and I missed a half dozen that were pushing 18 inches!! August, the browns are pushing the brookies aside and I missed close to a dozen browns that were 20+ inches!!
They are all still there waiting for anglers like you ;)
I might be able to make it up one more time the last week of sept, we'll see!
Goodluck! :fish:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts