Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
We fished SW MI pier Sat night. Saw a king and a skamania caught by same guy. Blank for us. Wind and waves were tough!

We fished Mich City pier tonight. Saw a guy catch a big skamania next to us. Blank for us as well.

Threw spoons, glow spoons, plugs, spinners, and shrimp on the bobbers. Mercy, we have run in to bad luck this year. Help! Lol. My boy hasnt hooked one yet, except for a big steelhead on a river charter a couple years ago. I'm telling him just gotta keep the lure in the water and keep trying. He is patient and not complaining, just hoping for some kind of action. We are doing exactly the same thing as everybody else. Just a matter of time...
What did the guys next to you catch the skams on? Shrimp?

Sorry you didn’t catch anything. I’ve been in your shoes before. It happens to everyone. You’ll catch them sooner or later though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
View attachment 848053
Me and a buddy went out for skams earlier in the week and did good. Action was pretty consistent. Lots of missed fish but ended up with a double limit. Went out again the next day for an afternoon charter… he cancelled our trip last minute even seeing the small craft warning after we made the 4 hour commute up. He could have looked at the forecast and canceled earlier, but seems like he wanted our deposit... Really rubbed me the wrong way. Ended doing a mejier run for some cheap combos and fishing a bit of the night for kings. Tried to make the best of it. We got skunked. Had 2 bumps with tons of bait being around. Could see some fish rolling and jumping around in the mouth.
The charter captain cancelled your trip...and kept your deposit?? Guess I'm not familiar with that practice. I could see him keeping it if you cancelled, but not if he cancelled. Is this the norm?
 
Joined
·
372 Posts
The charter captain cancelled your trip...and kept your deposit?? Guess I'm not familiar with that practice. I could see him keeping it if you cancelled, but not if he cancelled. Is this the norm?
He didn't keep the deposit. He's sending it back. He waited last second to cancel the trip after we made the drive. He called me earlier in the day to asked if we wanted to cancel, we said no. Small craft warning was already in effect so he should have pulled the plug. He said the trip was still on. We drove up the 3.5 hours, chilled in town for a bit and got a call from him again at 2:30 saying that he's cancelling due to "small craft warning". The warning was already out when he first called. He wanted US to cancel so he could keep the deposit + whatever fees were associated with a last minute cancellation, 100%. Just irked me bad. Not saying he was in the complete wrong but still just seemed like he was playing chicken with us and was trying to make a quick buck off us.
 
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Top